Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bone in strip steaks and sun stroke

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
never seen these with the bone, really good steaks. complaining last week about the heat and found myself friday passing out on the highway doing 70 on cruise with the top down, came to in the slow lane jamming on the brakes, no idea how long i was out. spent an hour or so in cabellas with wet towels and iced teas before finishing the trip to camp. you guys that like the heat can have it, glad its gone. ate a half gallon of fruit salad, a large blue raspberry ice drink, a coke, and still blacked out in the sun :ermm: still feeling it today.

003-18.jpg

004-25.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Steaks look great but dand fish you are lucky to be alive!! Be carefull man.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Do be careful, this heat was a killer. Remember, direct summer sunlight penetrates the skull, and does weird things with the brain.

My wife kept my "top-up." We were about to go on a walk, and she says to me, "I found this at Rural King. Put it on." So now I have a broad brimmed straw hat, all ready for the next time I go out threshing.
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Scary stuff! The heat is no joke.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I hear'ya cluckin, Fish.

Nice L-bones dude;)
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Don't count me among the heat lovers, Fishless. I hate it. :angry:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Glad to hear you are OK...

GG
  • fishlessman
    had my stupid looking tilley hat on the whole way, always wear a big hat ;) dont know what happened, had plenty of liquids but just stopped sweating just before it happened.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    when they start doing the L bones, much better than having that worthless fillet on the other side
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    hate the heat, might be time to go lookingh for those salt tabs they used to sell, wonder if you can still get them
    fukahwee maine

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Scary stuff there Fishless, glad you are OK. I have been down here since 1983 and have never seen it get to 100º. We are typically in the low 90's day after day for the whole summer. We can have a sea breeze off the Atlantic during the day and in the afternoon one will form off the Gulf. When they meet they pile up the thunderstorms on top of us and cools everything off for the evening. The heat up north is bringing a lot of people down to the beaches for their summer vacations.

The steaks look fantastic! Bone in sounds good! :)

Blair

• fishlessman
    it was close... between slamming into the car in front, or rolling the truck :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

• Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    Go to the doctor. It may not have been the heat at all. What would it hurt to make certain that you didn't have a warning of something to come?
  • Steaks look good.

I agree with Amy S. Please go get checked out at the Dr. That is an alarming story, and I'm glad you are safe.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    So glad you are OK.
    Sure could have gone the other way.
    Be careful, we like having you around...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    i think its time to find a whole new doctor. was having problems with high blood pressure meds with my bp dropping way to much at night verse the day, eventually stopped taking them and the problems went away. dr wouldnt change the meds. i see low blood pressure can result from heat exhaustion. i cant take the heat at all, doors and windows are open here all year long
    fukahwee maine

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Sounds like new Doc is great idea! Don't put it off, that will gain nothing. Take it from someone who had 3 major heart attacks one week with in a couple weeks of turning 45! I had to learn the hard way and would hate to see you have something similar or even worse happen to you.

Blair

• Rusty Rooster
    You can at a pharmacy but there are a lot better things available now. Sports drinks (gatorade, or powerade) do a lot better and also give you the fluids you need. I just spent a week in the heat and drank thoes plus water constantly. Still got ahead of me once and I had to sit it out for nearly an hour.
    Fluid intake is the necessary part of this formula and unfortunately beer does not completely fill the requirement.
  • Rusty Rooster
    I just read the rest of the thread, yes, if you are having bp issues go see a Dr. After reading your note about that, my opinion it was likely not heatstroke. I am not a Dr. but have had a lot of Red Cross training.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Hey buddy, glad it didn't get any worse, I'd have a check up anyway, just to be safe. Be well
  • fishlessman
    im pretty sure it was heat stroke or exhaustion. friday it was 100 and humid outside which felt cold when you left the building, maybe 110 in the welding bay, felt like 120. we shut down at lunch, then an over an hour in direct sun. my bp varies alot during the day, mid morning at rest something like 126/90 would be the norm, then late at night i might see 95/60, when on meds for high bp it was low enough i would fall over backwards at night and crash hard, dr wouldnt check it out so i gave up the meds and started monitoring bp on my own. mt temp is never below 100 either which may explain why i hate the heat. it is time though tochange doctors and check things out again
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    They cut that off and package 2-3 of them together and sell for the big bucks :laugh:
  • fishless, it does not appear that fainting/passing out are symptoms of heat stroke. I looked it up on WebMD.

http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Glad your OK
    Heat has been a little extreme here
    We were on a, 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off shift(never seen this in 23 years) due to the heat.
    We had a couple of people go down :sick:

Stay cool :)

Shane
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Now that is not good! I need directions to your camp on Sabago and an email notice like ICE on your cell phone in case next time you do not wake up in time!! i can be there in about 45 min and have that egg all safe and sound from vultures!!!
    But really! that is not funny :( be careful!! we are not used to it up here and it has been something...
  • fishlessman
    been looking it up most of the day so far. been concerned with the falling when my blood pressure gets low and dehydration can cause blood pressure to drop quickly. my new doctor will get alot of questions, my old one wouldnt listen, had him for close to 40 years, its time for a change.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    was listening to the marine forcasts on the boat and they said it was the hottest day recorded in july, third hottest on record for portland.
    fukahwee maine

• I had heat exhaustion while out riding my bike on a lovely spring day...it wasn't more than 90 degrees, with a nice breeze. But I don't sweat much, which means that heat builds up pretty quickly. So I learned the hard way to pay attention to my skin: moist is good, but if I'm dry, then I've got to get out of the heat. And BP meds can definitely make you more susceptible to heat exhaustion...

But I agree w/the previous posters: loss of consciousness sounds more like a heart event or possible stroke rather than a heat injury. Please go get yourself checked out: an EKG will reveal any heart issues in a jiffy. Keep doc shopping 'til you find one that will listen. Literally dozens of drugs can address your BP, and it's important to find a doc who will work with you to get it right. Atrial fibrillation can result from uncontrolled hi BP, and stroke is a common, unfortunate a-fib consequence. Better safe than sorry...
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That had to be really, really scary! I am so glad that you are safe. STAY hydrated!!!! Some of us need that reminder. I know that from the altitdue that I live at. It's so very imoprtant for the body to function properly. Hope you get to feeling normal soon.
    Nice lookin bonz.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    That's a scary thing, podner. Watch that heat.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Man, those steaks look nice. I'd eat the whole plate. ;)