Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For the IT/Mac folks

reader40
reader40 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all

So i just bought a new macbook pro last night and need to get some files off my old HP laptop. The only problem is the laptop will not take a charge so the MAC folks said to just remove the hard drive, bring it in and for $100 they would transfer the files that i need an then i could reformat the old hard drive and use that as an external storage device.

My question is this...do you folks happen to know what sort of cable i might need to just do it myself...i figure i could try and save the $100 cause it sounds like i should be able to run a cable from the old HP hard drive to maybe the USB or firewire port on the MAC?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    It depends on what interface the drive uses, that will determine what specific enclosure you'd need. Most of them have USB and/or firewire connections, so connecting to your Mac shouldn't be a problem.

What model is your old HP laptop?
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Why can't you set them both up on a network, and do file sharing? If I remember correctly, that's how I got my files over (years ago).
  • reader40
    i dont have the cpu with mr right now but o think its a hp dv96... something

not sure how i would set the network up and to be honest would maybe rather not since the drive is all i want. or at least at this point not do it
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Le Pew is right... you could do it wirelessly over a network. If you do it with a hard wired connection you will be looking at a USB or ethernet cable.

If you want to get fancy shmancy you could try to get a device that is "thunderbolt" ready, and transfer your files in a matter of seconds...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you can't charge the HP, can you run it directly of a power supply? If that were the case, you could probably use an ethernet connection, and the Mac can mount the HP drive as a network device.

What I believe is being suggested is to put the old drive in a new powered enclosure. We did that for a machine with a failed motherboard. Was cheaper than replacing the board. Just hooked it up to another Mac.
  • reader40
    I cannot run the computer directly off a power supply. Where i plug the ac adapter in does not work so i am going to be forced to pull the hard drive, so i won't be able to do any wireless i belive.

My plan and hope is to just basically take the hard drive out, connect an adapter to it and the mac and transfer some files, then use it as an external drive.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Some responders forgot that you can't power up the HP. As suggested by gdenby I would try powering up with direct power. Failing that, I would use something like this ...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102
    canuckland
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You will need to find out what kind of HD it is. ATA, SATA, SCSI, etc., and what size (2.5", 3.5" etc) Then find an appropriate enclosure. They don't cost to much. I'm seeing models from $15 - $25. Most have a USB interface. Once it is up and running, the Mac should just see it as an external device. Macs can read PC disks, but I think after you retrieve the data, it would be better to re-format the drive.
  • reader40
    Beauty...Thanks for all the great information everyone.

I think i am going to try out that product from new egg...looks like what i need and hopefully i can save some cash!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    If your hard drive is a IDE then you would get a IDE hard drive encloser, but you also need a $2 connector that changes the laptop hard drive pins to a IDE pin outplug that would fit into the IDE socket.If your drive is a SATA, then you would get a SATA drive incloser, all run via USB. Very simple and very easy. I do this alot on old drives, See they wanted $100 for something that may cost you $40 in parts, and when your done you have your external drive case, which you needed to have to use for the old drive to work.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    You could do what the Apple store is recommending by buying an external hard-drive bay, and then removing the HD from your pc and putting it in the bay. There are probably lots of youtube videos of teenagers showing you step-by-step how to remove an internal drive and place it in an enclosure.

Once in the bay, you could attach this external drive to your new Macbook pro via usb, copy the files you want, and then reformat the drive to use with your Mac.

The drive for your pc is probably formatted in a way that can be read by your Mac, but your Mac may not be able to save to it. That is why you might want to reformat the pc drive once you have copied your data from it.

Here is a random version of a hard drive enclosure (I'm not sure what size hard drive is in your pc):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182155

Mark

edit: (oops, just saw Terry's message above, which recommends in a more detailed way the same thing I am suggesting).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Not a mac user but thinking of getting an airbook and running it in windows mode.

However, if you are going to pull the drive out of the hp, do so. check to see what interface the drive has. Then purchas a $15 to $25 dock. Something like AZIO powered dock.

This model is for a SATA drive and will plug into your mac.
    http://3btech.net/azadusb2saha.html

If you need an ATA box email me directly I think I have a couple of them here.

There are no drives for either style and when plugged in and the USP is in the mac you will be able to copy the files from the HP drive onto the mac. You than can use the hp drive for an external back up drive.

GG

[url][/url]
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    You don't have a back up of these files anywhere?
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    The HP Pavilion DV96##xx series notebooks use 2.5" SATA drives, so using the NewEgg website, here are some options for drive enclosures. If there's a mention of drive height limitations, yours should be 9.5mm high.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have done this many times for friends using my Macbook Pro.
    I have a BlacX sata docking station that reads both 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives. (laptop and desktop size) product number: N0028USU made by Thermaltake.
    I believe it was from Newegg.com as well.

USB cable to your Mac and you can pull your files.

I also have this enclosure.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

Very high quality and well built. This would let you use your old drive in the future as a portable back-up.

Send me an email if I can help.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Not a mac user but thinking of getting an airbook and running it in windows mode.
    [url][/url]
    AHH! :blink: Why would you want to do that? OSX runs so much more stable than windows ever will, even on MAC hardware.

Like everyone else has said, just find an inexpensive adapter for our drive that uses USB. You probably dont need to spring for a full enclosure I have one like this- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329300&CatId=3770
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    If you just bought the MacBook why are they trying to charge you $100? File transfer from your old computer for free is supposed is supposed to be part of their deal when you buy a Mac. Or at least it was when I bought my iMac a few years ago. Did you buy it at a Mac store or an authorized dealer, ie Best Buy or somewhere else?
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    As an iMac user I agree 100%. By taking a Mac and putting windows on it you negate a number of operational advantages to having a Mac. Virus and spam protection. Processor slow down as a result of tons of items running unseen in the back ground. Does not seem to make much sense to me.
  • Photo Egg
    Normally free from a "working computer. His is not working and they would have to yank the hard drive and work from that point. Not a standard transfer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    If he spends just a little more money and buys a full enclosure then he can use his old drive as portable storage in the future. The other option is more than likely a one time use.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Around here it's free from another mac but they charge to transfer from a pc
  • Photo Egg
    You would think they would make extra effort to get PC users to Mac.
    Macs are so easy if both Mac computers are working compared to a PC. I guess I can understand.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    especially with the new lion,, I love the airdrop option
  • reader40

Sorry for not checking this...i just bought the box from a local computer shop...worked slick as ever on teh mac. Now i might try and take some files off of my old desktop as well. i will just need, hopefully an adapter to use the IDE...just have sata now

The old files were no backed up...just pics but that's what we wanted. The $100 was for the 1 to 1 that apple offers and since they would have had to take the cpu apart during this class thing, that is what we would have had to do. After realizing it was pretty easy, we just cancelled the 1 to 1 and saved the extra money. It would have been free like others have stated but since my old pc laptop was not cooperating, it woudl have cost.

I would like to thank everyone for their help...absolutely amazing...should have checked back and bought what GG has as the one i bought locally was like $30 which i don't mind keeping my money locally. I don't even remember what is on my old desktop anyways ha ha.