Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Howdy, first post = Question about smoking

Aggie99
Aggie99 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, I was fortunate enough to receive a large BGE for birthday/fathers day. I have never smoked anything until this w/e. I smoked a 3-4 lb. serloin roast and it came out horrible. I think I know what I did wrong (too hot, too much mesquite).
My questions for you guys is that I am planning on cooking a pork butt/loin and a turkey this w/e, can I smoke them together? Any recipies that you would suggest? What wood chip/chunks would you use?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Certainly for turkey, because it takes up smoke so easily, I'd use apple or cherry .... only 2-3 chunks. We have used maple last Thanksgiving and liked the results.

It would be difficult to do pork butt and turkey at the same time, at least for me.
  • Aggie99
    Thanks.
    Any good recipies?
  • Never done them together, but I used cherry for turkey and it came out awesome.

Used apple, maple, and jack daniels for pork butts, and all turned out well, but I/we liked apple the best.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Mesquite is good for an open grill, cooking something like a steak, that only sees the fire for a few minutes. But in my opinion, it is way too bitter for slow cooking. -RP
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Go to The NakedWhiz's site and look up Mad Max's Turkey instructions. If you have never visited The Whiz's site, you are in for a shock as on it he answers just about any question you might have.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Here's Naked Whiz's site:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Spring "Knowing Where To Look Makes Up For Not Knowing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    You need to learn (and have the patience) to search this incredible resource of posts, recipes, techniques and all to get up to speed with your new Egg. I spent the better part of a year here, taking notes before I purchased my first BGE. Chances are you can answer a question by doing a forum search on the topic. And yes, I still pose a question or two!!~~
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Pork butts take quite awhile to smoke. My advice, if you want to do both, is to do the butt overnight, then wrap and store in a cooler with towels. it will hold that way for about 4 hours. After you pull the butt off, you can do the turkey.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Rather than thinking of the Egg as a smoker, think of it as an oven that can add smoke, and keep foods a little moister.

Then look at ordinary recipes. Cook in the Egg pretty much the same way, but some foods that might be braised in liquid in an oven may not need any fluid in the Egg.

So, both a turkey and a pork loin might cook at 350, but they will probably have different times. And, as mentioned, the smoke will impact the flavor of the turkey more strongly than the pork.

Here's a broad rule. Meats that have lots of fat and connective tissue generally are good candidates for classic lo-n-slo smoking. Leaner cuts, such as you sirloin, will generally do better with a faster, hotter cook that just browns the outside, but does not dry out the inside.

And then one must consider the thickness of the piece. It is easy to do chicken breasts as high as 450. They are thin enough to heat all the way thru before the outside is toast. Thick turkey breasts do better at 350, so as to avoid burning the outside.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Dear Mr. Chicken,
    Thanks for giving the link. I'd have given it but I haven't figured out how to do it on this iPad. :unsure:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    I hope you realize a pork butt and a pork loin are two ENTIRELY two different kettles of fish. A pork butt will take 12-18 hrs to cook at 250 degrees while a pork loin will take 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

YES, you can cook a pork loin and a turkey at the same time on a single Egg.
    NO, you can not cook a pork butt and a turkey at the same time on a single Egg.
  • Aggie99
    Thanks for your info. I will take all suggestions into consideration.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Randy,

I second That!

Fruitwood and Pecan seems to make the world go-round quite nicely. B)

I have a pile of dust again. :ermm: as well as wood, Apple and Pear I think. Are you planning another batch of your smoked Kayanne? :whistle:

db9c8603.jpg