Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Earth boxes and grow boxes????

BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would like some feedback on these 2 types of growing boxes. Are they easy to use? Maybe some pictures. Thanks to all who respond.

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I have a few Earth Boxes and a couple that I made myself. I find that they work very well! I am trying to go organic with them this year.
    DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053-1.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg

We are growing Tomatoes, Eggplant, Peppers and Cukes in them. I grow Lettuce and Potatoes in regular boxes. They produce much more than my garden.
  • BajaTom
    Thanks for info and the pictures.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Tom,

We have much-o shade and after 25 years of lousy growing luck I noticed one part of our driveway got pretty good sun, but the potential spot was bad for other reasons. Instead we went with these flower pots around which I built a frame to hold the tomato cages upright and to drape a netting to keep pesky squirrels and coons from raiding our "garden". Works for us and we supply neighbors with tomatoes with our successful bounty!
    IMG_2475.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BajaTom
    Thanks for the info and the pictures
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Impressive!

I can't seem to get a darn thing to grow other than weeds.

• Grandpas Grub

How often are you watering those pots and do you fertalize, if so how often?

I am having a horrible growing time this year.

• RRP
    We water religiously every day. Since they are sitting on our asphalt drive there is a lot of radiant heat to deal with and every morning the soil in those pots look parched! Other wise we just fertilize once a month having learned that we overdid it in some years past and just had a wall of foliage, but little fruit.

This Spring to keep peace with Pat I completely replaced all of the soil in the containers. Jury of one is still out, but she who has to be obeyed has been! :laugh: She thought maybe they had become contaminated last year since we had a lot of lower limb wilt.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    any problems with wind tipping it over. im experimenting with peppers this year on the deck with glass mounted on the railing to help limit the wind coming across the lake, that looks good to try next year. wind here gets so strong i lose most of the apples and pears off the trees by early august so now im trying some safety glass on the veggies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub

I am probably not watering enough. The fruit is smaller and I am not getting close to the height you show in the picture.

I guess there is next year...

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    It has been a hard year for everybody, With all these days over 90 degrees my huge, healthy looking pepper plants have almost no peppers on them :angry:
  • RRP
    No wind problem as the neighbors screen of 5 evergreens are a backdrop and practically touch our plants. Before I built that sturdy frame though the pots just sat on the ground with the cages wired together. One morning we found all five knocked over. On further exam we found a flurry of deer tracks, skid marks in the mud etc. I assumed a deer was being chased by coyotes or a wolf that we have around here and busted through the neighbors evergreens and encountered our nest of cages knocking them down after stumbling.
  • Grandpas Grub

What are the sizes of the grow box, lining material and the type of soil you used to fill the box?

Kent
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    We have the Garden Patch boxes and love them. We planted tomatoes, squash, and peppers this year. Squirrels trampled the squash, so my husband declared war on the squirrels. This is our 3rd year, and we are going to add to our collection next year. I'd really like to have a small garden but don't have enough time to tend it - these boxes have been great!

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg
  • bamagirl
    bamagirl Posts: 24
    First year using them - kinda went overboard with them.
    Great for a beginner gardener.

Earthbox009.jpg
    Earthbox032.jpg
  • UPEgger
    UPEgger Posts: 39
    Have not heard of the earth boxes. Looks like an efficient space use setup. We went with the Square Foot Gardening system. 4'x4'x6". Just fill them with ingredients and water every evening. We have four of the 4x4 boxes. We further divide them into 1 sq ft spaces. Each square foot is something different or planted a week or two later. Works great. w.squarfootgardening.com UPEgger.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Yellow pears??? B)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Clark,MissippiEgger uses them extensively and has had good luck with them.Village has a Raised Bed systen that is to DIE FOR!