Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT how hot?

Options
Indiana Skeeter
Indiana Skeeter Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of making some ABT. How hot are they? Can the average person eat them or do you need to be a fire eater?

Comments

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,[p]My wife is not a fire eater and loves them, coarse I take out the stems and seeds.[p]Rick
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    They are actually tame if you remove all of the seeds and the veins inside. OTOH I had an older neighbor couple who threw away 11 of the 12 I took them saying they were too hot! Talk about being p'o

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,[p]You can make them with milder peppers or sweet peppers also.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Indiana Skeeter
    Options
    Salmon, Thanks I will give them a try

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,[p]Scrape the all the seeds and membrane out and they're pretty mild, just good pepper taste. The stem end can still hold a little heat, but not enough to warrant more than pull off a cold beer.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    for a meal (instead of a snack) try the following:
    mix cream cheese, Mexican 4 cheese shreded blend, a can of drained rotelle with your favorite meat or seafood and some rub. Stuff a poblano pepper full, wrap in bacon and grill/smoke as you would an ABT and serve with your favorite Mex or Tex/Mex sides and you are going to be lovin life. Give it a try and tell us how you like it. Joe

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    I always scrape the seeds and remove the stem and I find it just depends on the pepper. I always use jalepenos and most of the time they are mild enough for everyone, but once or twice, they have been unexplainably HOT. I like 'em that way, but many could not handle it. Definitely worth trying regardless.