Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! My dome is stuck shut

JCO
JCO Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a clean burn last night to get some of the gunk off that has accumulated in two year's use. I filled the fire box with lump, and let it burn itself out with the bottom vent wide open and no cover on top of the dome. It got to about 700-800 degrees for a while, then slowly dropped to about 300 before I went to bed. This morning when I tried to open it to check it, it was stuck shut. Now I can't open the egg! I figure my gaskets are toast and will have to be replaced, but the big problem now is how do I open it? Has this happened to anyone before?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    it's quite common of a problem - the adhesive under the gasket and "gunk" on the gasket has melted and formed a bond. Most people can get it open by shoving a couple lit starters in the bottom vent to warm up the gasket enough that you can take a putty knife and CAREFULLY work it around the gaskets to open. Most likely your gasket is toast though.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you can't find a place to get a putty knife into the dome/base gap, you can try what I had to do once. I took my weed burner and fired it straight into the ruined gasket till enough burnt that I could ram a knife into it. Then it was pretty easy slicing the gasket apart.

>Has this happened to anyone before?

Yes. The last time I did a cleansing burn with a full load of lump. Caught it as the gasket was starting to melt. Opened and quickly shoved foil into the spaces where it was starting to melt. Managed to save the gasket, tho' the seal has not been quite as good since.

Note to self. Only use a portion of fire box of lump for cleaning.

On the other hand, all the gunk inside had turned to sheets of soot that just fell away from the ceramic.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    This is why I don't do cleaning burns. Well, also because I'm lazy and I don't see the need, but I digress.

If all else fails, find a spot on the gasket where you know you can get a large flat blade screwdriver between the two layers. Tap it with a hammer to gently get the screwdriver in between the two layers. Once the screwdriver is in, just give it a twist and the lid will pop right open. Good luck.
    The Naked Whiz
  • JCO
    I'll try to heat it up some at some spot with a little gas torch that I have and start there. Thank you all for the advise!
  • RRP
    Personally I would NOT do that! Putting intense heat on one spot and not the whole egg on a uniform basis MIGHT cause stress! Why not try what I suggested which has been a popular solution?
  • JCO
    Well, I tried getting the egg overall warm first, but I couldn't get a fire in the bottom vent hot enough to get the egg past much more than about 150. So I used the little torch to burn enough of the gasket in a spot to where I could get the utility knife through. With that I cut enough of the gasket away to where I can now get the blade of a hacksaw in it and I'm slowly working my way around the egg.
    This is a major pain in the neck. I'll never do a clean burn again!
  • RRP
    whatever
  • What's a "gasket"? I haven't had one on my egg for like five years.

:whistle: