Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Club Lump-any reviews?

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,082
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any recent experience with Sam's Club (Best of the West brand)lump charcoal. Figure I need to start stock piling as lump is scarce from late fall to mid spring other than the pricy BGE brand from the dealer.
Happy Fourth-
P.S. TNW's data base does have a review but over 5 years young and rated as "below average".
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    The Whiz knows. Lump usually doesn't change.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Typical mesquite lump. Lots of BIG chunks. Throws off lots of sparks. I use it almost exclusively for grilling.

It's OK. Mostly, it's inexpensive.
    South SLO County
  • DFoster
    DFoster Posts: 1
    I've used maybe 4 bags of the Sam's Club stuff mainly because its 40lbs for $15. Overall, there is a significant amount of very large pieces as compared to other brands I've used. I've been satisfied enough to keep buying as it's just as good as some of the other stuff that costs much more.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    I just bought a bag and this stuff has logs in it.
    Will know more in a few days about how it burns.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    I read a couple other reviews on here that were not exactly positive. Most have said that the flavor that it imparts is just plain bad. I would say give it a whirl and if you like continue and if not try another. I personally read enough bad reviews that i wont try the stuff. I have been using Wegman's store brand(Royal Oak rebagged)and it has been great. $6 for 10lbs isnt too bad either.
  • In deep south Texas, 50lb. onion sack sells for seven bucks. Its easy to make the "logs" smaller. This is homemade mesquite charcoal.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    This is what I got LOGS.100_7226.jpg
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Roll Tider
    Roll Tider Posts: 31
    That is all I've been using for years. I like the big pieces. However, I went in Friday to stock up for long weekend of cooking and was told they cancelled the order and would not be carrying it anymore (Tuscaloosa, AL store). So, back to Wally World for Royal Oak I guess.