Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Cover or Not to Cover? (& Pork Question)

Mass. Wine Guy
Mass. Wine Guy Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting my new large Egg delivered this morning. I didn't buy a vinyl cover for it. Should I get one? Is vinyl the best material for a cover? What about the ventilated cover?

Also, dumb basic question no. 2: Having a party on Sunday and want to make pulled pork. If I allow enough time to cook it, can I pretty much just remove it, add charcoal and start grilling burgers, etc. over a high heat?

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Welcome to the cult er I mean club :laugh:

My wife likes ours covered -- for the one that is in the nest, we just use a generic cover that works fine. For the large that is in a table, we had to buy a special one for that.

As for your pulled pork question, if you want to cook burgers, you will have to pull out the place setter and bring the temperature up. Just remember, the place setter will be hot so plan how you are going to remove it and where you are going to put it before proceeding.

Have fun with your egg and remember to post pictures.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Welcome, from a fellow newbie, I purchased a cover from wal-mart that is canvas on the outer-side with 2 vents and vinyl on inner side, seems to work real good. And keeps my table from direct UV rays.

I don't see why you couldn't just open vents a bit raise heat and start grillin burgers, you may be surprised how much lump is left from the lo and slo, you may not have to add more. Just make sure you allow enough time for the butt, my last but at 230ish dome took 2.13 hours per lb.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Your pork can rest in a warm cooler wrapped in foil for 3 hours. Pull it off remove the heat barrier and open the vents. You'll be grilling in no time.

To cover? Mine are in tables, in have regular grill covers for them...... sometimes I even put them on :blush:
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Mine is covered. I started out buying a weber WSM vinyl cover yearly for around $6. They worked well, but since I needed a new cover for my gasser, I did some research and ordered Veranda covers. Very nice and heavy duty. I think they were around $20. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias=garden&field-keywords=veranda+grill+cover&sprefix=veranda+grill+cover
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    I have an XL in a table and use a cover to protect the table, don't think you need to worry about the BGE. If you have a custom handle on your egg, the cover will also protect it.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I cover mine year around. ;) Sometimes covered with sun, rain and in the winter covered usually with snow.

4 years, no cover. A new egg will a little brighter green which can only be see if the 4 year old always exposed is right next to the new egg.

The handles and egg mates will suffer some.

bge_lge_snow.jpg

Have fun with your new egg, looking forward to seeing & reading about some of your cooks.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a cover which I rarely use. Seems to be of good quality, but though I've had it for well over a year (I think), it hasn't been used enough to say how well it's holding up. Looks new!

I got this one... $30. Vented (front and back), very flexible even in New England winter, waterproof.

http://www.the-cover-store.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CSP06113KH2

4293597063_4283dcaf65.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I bought the ventilated BGE cover when I bought my first large. It is always on unless I'm cooking on my Egg.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    We bought the venilated cover; our Large is in a table.
    Then again, we get an average anual rainfall of 40 inches!

Welcome to the world of egging, you're gonna love it!

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    mass. egg
    014-5.jpg

maine egg
    001-21.jpg

no covers :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Covered

24d6cfa9.jpg

Except for the little guy.

I buy original weber covers and I am on year two with them working great.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    My Large was always out in the sunshine (Southern California, you see) and after 6 or 7 years the green BGE cover cracked and was pretty ugly.

I mostly used the Small Egg that was under the patio cover, anyway. So a couple of years ago I wheeled the Large in its nest to under the patio cover too, and there it stays and is much more convenient to use. There is NO soot or residue on the white underside of the patio roof, either!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Charles...And I won't call you 'Chef' cuz there are a few here that actually have earned and deserve the Title. It is a PLATE Setter...not PlaCe setter. But decent advice, none the less.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    if your ceramic cap has a loose fit, make sure you remove it before covering otherwise you risk yanking it off and dropping it when removing the cover ... i had a close call, fortunately caught the cap before it hit the ground!
    canuckland
  • I cover w/vinyl BGE cover...I thought about the vented ones but they were much more expensive. I usually put on the cover after the egg cools down a bit...

While I don't think it is a requirement to use a cover, I think it helps protect from the elements.
  • Feeding Frenzy wrote:
    Charles...And I won't call you 'Chef' cuz there are a few here that actually have earned and deserve the Title.

You're joking, aren't you? Are you mentally unbalanced or something? This is a bbq forum, not an academic conference. Let's get some context here.

Oh, and the "t" in title is not capitalized.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    go ahead, beat up all the chef imposters on the forum :whistle:

[url]d73b78fb.jpg[/url]
    canuckland
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Sorry about that :blink: ... I will try to be more careful typing the next time

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• I don't beleive that it was your typing error, chef. But who cares?