Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July Cookout--need a little advice!

Options
doubleapex
doubleapex Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, I'm working with a large egg, a plate setter, and the V rack.

I have 8 racks of ribs to cook. 4 spare, st louis style and 4 baby backs.

A few questions,

Will cooking times be different for babybacks vs spares?

Should I still foil each individual rack 3 to 4 hours in to the cook?

If I want to serve around 1pm, should I get the grill going about 6am--and have the ribs on by 7?

Any other advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Hope everyone has a great 4th!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    spares "typically" take a little longer than BB...foiling is a personal prefernce and if it were mine I would foil....your times sound like they will work just fine...Enjoy..
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    When I'm using a foil step my baby backs are more predictable, and I foil them after 3 hours. For the St Louis cut, I eyeball them at 4 hours and often they will need 5 hours before going to the foil.

My favorite foil time for baby back ribs is 45 minutes with a 15 to 20 minute rest. I foil St Louis ribs at least an hour, then peek and test tenderness with a toothpick. some racks will take 1-1/2 hours to steam tender. I rest them too.

I agree with you on wrapping individually, and I put the meat side down on a base of at least 2 of the following: brown sugar/honey/sauce/Parkay, then add some liquid like apple juice before sealing the last fold.

DSC09692b.jpg

Have your double layer foils all ready and stacked on the counter and have your juice warmed. This way the ribs won't cool off too much while you're doing the prep. I do my foil step in a 250°-260° oven. Once they are foiled, the ribs don't care where they are.

manninggraduation015a.jpg

They will look just like this coming out of the foil. You may be okay with this presentation, or you can go back on the cooker to set them up a little. Oh, and be sure to save all the foil juices. They can be served as a table sauce or mixed into a store bought sauce for more flavor.

DSC09694b.jpg

DSC09695b.jpg

The rack on the left was foil finished only, the one on the right went back on the cooker for 15 or 20 minutes.

DSC01637a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Options
    thanks for the great info. If Spares will take 4 hours before the foil, should I put them on for an hour first...and then throw the BB's with them, so they all are ready for foiling, and then serving at the same time?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I would offset the time by at least an hour.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery