Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I took the challenge to not use mustard on my butt

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This last weekend there was a thread about bark on a butt. I posted my personal opinion that I always used yellow mustard smeared on to hold the rub in place. I was told by several here that mustard wasn't needed and didn't do anything. Well, I took that as a challenge and overnight I egged this 6 pounder.

IMG_2258-1.jpg

I used my regular combo of Dizzy Dust and Cluck & Squeal, but no mustard. Otherwise it was the same woods for smoking, 200° internal temp etc etc.

Guess it boils down to personal tastes, but the bark was hard and very chewy - unlike the bark I have grown accustomed to of being well - less hard and less chewy. Glad I took the challenge, but hereafter I'm reverting to the mustard trick!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks for the test and post. Could you tell any difference in the texture or taste of the meat.

Have a great 4th.

Kent
  • PawpawEgg
    PawpawEgg Posts: 26
    Options
    So it's bark was worse than it's bite. :whistle:
  • RRP
    Options
    no difference in the taste of the meat as it was nice and tender and very delicious - it was just the texture of the bark that was hard. Give me a minute or two and I'll post another picture.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I think I will stay in the use the mustard camp.

By chance did you notice if you used less or more seasoning when no mustard was used?

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

:woohoo: :woohoo: Ouch!!!

• RRP
    Options
    no less rub and certainly no more either.

BTW here is a separate container I kept of the really hard bark. I try to intersperse as much bark as I can in the pulled meat, but some of this would have been too hard and chewy for my wife so I kept it out.
    IMG_2268.jpg

I am not trying to start any peeing contest, I'm just saying I'm returning to the mustard camp.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks for posting, interesting test.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I know so many people say there is no need for mustard because it adds no taste.
    I was scared to use it because I just could not believe the mustard taste would not blow away the true flavor of the meat. After giving it a try I now slather a light coat on pork butts and ribs.
    I just like the way the spices stick to the mustard. For no other reason it's reason enough for me.
    Many different ways and many different tastes but I will also stick with the mustard.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, I don't know what happened there, but I have never used mustard and have never seen bark like that!! Other than a few pockets of fat, I never have throw any out. Did you cook it direct at 450°? :laugh: :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like the rub, then mustard then goop it all together, then more rub. usually dizzy dust first, gooped all up, with a lighter coating firewalk on top. done them both ways and i like the mustard too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    While I pull the pork, I chop the bark and mix it in with the meat. The bark is going to soften after mixing in anyway. And of course, that is where all the flavor is...
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Ron:

I'm a mustard man, too. Lately, I've also been injecting with a mixture of Coke and Worchestershire. Good stuff, Bubba!

Have a great 4th!

Mike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Darian I do like you do. Sure glad he posted. Was wondering :huh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    That bark sure would make a pot of pinto beans real happy. :):)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    I like mustard on butts but just dry rub on ribs :laugh:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    That's certainly fair enough..you gave it an honest try and comparison....after all we do all have different tastes for things, thats why they make chocolate and vanilla...LOL
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I have been cooking barbecue for 25+ years and had never heard of using mustard until I joined this forum 3-1/2 years ago. It just seems odd to me.
    Not claiming to be an expert, just sayin.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I'm glad that you posted your results. I have always gone commando and have wondered if the mustard would make a difference and if it was worth trying. You have answered my question....next butt, mustard!!!
  • climbing egg
    Options
    I have always used mustard on butts and ribs. There is more than one way to "skin a cat" though!!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Differnt strokes for different folks.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    but I use the yellow stuff for my bark...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I have always subscribed to the mustard (no I did not drink the mustard kool-aid) but only because when I started out I found many Q' sites suggested using it. I was always pleased with the outcome (a recent convert to the BGE-gave up on water/gasser smokers.) Glad that you made the leap and validated, to the extent you can when smoking meat, about its benefits.
    Happy 4th-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.