Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - like a true pizza oven - help

Options
mktgman711
mktgman711 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I know that pizza can be made on the egg, but i was wondering if i can keep the egg going at about 750-800 degrees for about 4 hours? Ideally a pizza oven will run about that hot so i was just wondering if i can heat up the pizza stone and keep it going at that rate.

Any help is really appreciated. B)

Thanks.
Mario

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Mario, you can, but it will be difficult. At those temps, you will burn through your lump fairly quickly, thus you’ll have to reload. Adding lump to an 800 degree egg will be difficult because you’ll have to remove the stone & plate setter to dump more lump in & those parts will also be 800 degrees (tough to handle). Is there a reason you want to keep it that hot for that long? At 800 degrees, you’ll be able to do pies in 5 minutes or less, that’s 12 pies in 1 hour… do you have a need to cook that many that fast??? Or, are you thinking about keeping it to temp during a party so that you can randomly put a pie on here & there… If the latter is the case, it would be difficult for the above reasons & you will go through a lot of lump. Additionally, although the egg will handle those temps easily, repeated high heat cooks like that will rapidly hasten the cracking & ultimate demise of the firebox & ring. Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • mktgman711
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, i wanted to see if it will maintain a high
    heat to make pizzas for a party. I guess im trying to
    see how long the lump coal will keep my egg hot
    at a min 700 degrees. If I really load the coal up and
    can get a 2 hr burn it would be perfect. Can i cram enough coal in there to make it?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have never tried, but I imagine you can make it for a couple of hours.
    Do you know about "burping" the egg? At high temps like that you want to just open the dome about an inch for a couple of seconds before opening all the way. If you don't you will get a ball of fire as the fresh 02 hits the lump. Lose arm hair, eyebrows, etc. :ohmy: :sick::lol:
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Like Frank, I’ve never gone that long so I can’t say for sure, but if you fill the box all the way up to the bottom of the plate setter with the legs down, I think you could get 2 hours at 700; easiest way to find out is give it a go. Keep in mind that you’ll need anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes after you hit that temp to properly preheat the egg & of course that will consume a lot of lump also (so for 2 hours of cooking time you need closer to 3 hours of burn time...). One way to increase the burn time is to use a very dense lump. One that comes to mind is Wicked Good lump; in my experience it burns longer than anything I’ve ever used.

As a side note, you posted this question in the egg table forum. In the future post cooking related questions in the main egghead forum & you’ll get many more replies.

Good luck, & let us know how it works out
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • mktgman711
    Options
    Thanks. Im going to give it a go!
    M
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    I trhink ur crazy!!! ;) But let us know the results.
  • PhotoPro
    PhotoPro Posts: 47
    Options
    Fill the firebox and the fire ring, maybe partway up to the plate setter, if that is what you are using. it'll be good for two hours cook time once all that ceramic heats up. Don't forget, you can cook a nice pizza at 550 if the temperature drops that low after several hours. i you have not read the Nakid Whiz's info on flashback, do it before you light the first coal. NEVER let one of your guests open the dome when cooking at this temperature.