Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg Lump Burn Time ??

Options
Pepper Monkey BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ Posts: 652
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody know about how long a small with sustain 350 if full of lump?

Thanks,
JM

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have cooked a butt at 325-350 on my small before. I had to add lump after about 5+ hours....
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Ooo that will be close .... was looking at doing about the exact same thing ... figure I need at least 5. Guess its worth a try!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cook my butts pretty fast and wrap in foil...the butt gets done in that amount of time. I only add lump because I was cooking other things on the small after the butt got done.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    No real harm if you only get 3 hours of cook time and have to add more.
    Lump burn time will vary by brand and even bag to bag.
    Lrt us know how it works out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bagger722
    Bagger722 Posts: 81
    Options
    As previously mentioned, burn time will vary from bag to bag and by brand. I had a bag of Royal Oak and a load of lump lasted me about 2-3 hours before it was all ash. I've also have a bag of BGE brand and a load lasted me about 5-6 hours at 350. Using BGE brand I was also able to do a brisket for about 10 hours and did not have to add any. Still had some left over.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Darians right. If you can get your hands on some Wicked Good, you should be golden. I've had my small go 20 hours at 250º with a big butt on. ;) Fill it up so the platesetter is touching the coals.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I wish you were close. I would give you a few bags of WG. I'm done with it. I don't prefer to cook with tree stump size pieces. I've went through about 20 bags over the past two years (pallet order) and I get the same thing every bag. Mostly huge pieces. I'm talking one foot to two foot long pieces about 8 inches wide. Gets on my nerves. I guess I will go back to the old trusty RO.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Heath,

It sounds like you've never opened a bag of lump that is like dust. I've had plenty of Royal Oak bags that the pieces are almost too small for the mini. :angry: Problem is you can't do much with small pieces, but with WG you can bust them into smaller chunks til you see fit. ;) sometimes it takes a claw hammer and sometimes the ashtool will do.

I now mix the WG with a faster burning lump like RO or my favorite Ozark Oak 50/50 to get the smokey flavor I like and the heat and speed I desire. ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I use my small egg to do all the burn tests for the Lump Charcoal Database. I use a Guru and burn at 400 degrees. I can usually get 6-7 hours, although some really poor brands only go 4.5 to 5 hours. I should think you could get 6-7 hours without too much trouble at 350 degrees.
    The Naked Whiz