Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket flat questions...

Options
CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got about a 6 pound brisket flat in my medium Egg and it's been cooking for nearly 8 hours at 250ish.

Just opened the lid (only once all day) to check the temperature and it's about 140. I am planning to turn it down a bit at 150. I know it needs to get to around 185 eventually, so am I still a long ways out?

The rub I used was just salt, black pepper and cayenne powder -- and I didn't use any wood chips for smoke. I was planning to add moisture and a little sweetness with a mop but the Egg was holding it's temperature so well I didn't want to lift the lid and interrupt it. Is it too late to use a mop? (The outside looks a bit dry...)

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Have your calibrated your thermometer?

8 hrs @ 250 seems to me it ought be higher than
    what you have.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I go a bit higher in temp for both the cook and the finish temp. for low and slow about 1 to 1.5 hours a lb and pull at around 200.. not sure i would be turning it down any
  • Sailor71
    Sailor71 Posts: 35
    Options
    I would check you temp calibration. I just did a 6lb flat at 225 and at the 8hr mark was just coming out of the plateau. I turned my temp up to 245 to finish 4hrs later. It turned out great and about an hour before finish I sauced it.

Russell
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    So get this, I am telling my wife about how slow the brisket is cooking and she sees the meat thermometer I'm using. She tells me: "Oh, don't use that thermometer, it's way off."

(The logical follow up question was, "Why the heck is it still in the drawer if it doesn't work?" But I've been married for 30 years and by now I know not to ask questions like that. ;-) )

The temp was actually 180. It seemed kind of tough when I tried the fork test so I left it on for another hour. The temp was about 195 when I pulled it. My wife liked the flavor, and it had a nice red smoke ring, but it was pretty dry and crumbly. I'll have to do some research and find out what I did wrong.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

Also, try to find a packer cut brisket for your next attempt - they have more fat and come out much better.

Save some money for a thermapen instant read thermometer which will be a lot more accurate.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    CrazyHarry wrote:
    (The logical follow up question was, "Why the heck is it still in the drawer if it doesn't work?" But I've been married for 30 years and by now I know not to ask questions like that. ;-) )

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Smart Man! Too funny!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings