Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look what Guy Fieri Brought me today!

Options
Zogman100
Zogman100 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Dragon Dagger and Big Stick Knuckle Sammies.

IMG_0031.jpg

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    They LOOK nice how do they cut?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Don't hurt yourself! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Dave Shady wrote:
    They LOOK nice how do they cut?

Wondering the same thing ... I need a couple of new blades, and really like the way they look... just wondering about how well they cut :D
  • Zogman100
    Options
    Will review when I try them out. I'll let everyone know if I lose any fingers or limbs.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I have the whole set and the block...out perform my wusthof's in my opinion anyway. The cleaver is being released on the 24th...got that preordered for my birthday Saturday too!. Enjoy, I think you'll find them very well balanced and keeping a good edge.
    Congrats!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Zogman100
    Options
    Great, can't wait to try them out. They look great and have a nice feel. Will probably get the Lil' Guy (paring) and Chopper (Santoku) next. Way to many things on my wish list right now, but hey my birthday's coming up soon! B)
  • texegghead
    texegghead Posts: 59
    Options
    Cutco. Best knives all around. Lifetime free sharpening and replacement. Can't go wrong with these knives. The steak knives are awesome!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Knives are a personal thing for sure. I have a $6 paring knive that would cut your finger off in a second and a $200 Wusthoff that would hurt you because it is so dull and refuses to keep an edge. Heck, if you like it, it feels good and you think they are sharp, the're good no matter what brand or how much they cost...its like buying anything for the kitchen or the egg, you can debate for days but in the end its what makes you happy and I am SURE you will be happy with the GF knives...and they look cool too and you HAVE to look good while doing your food prep.

Check them out on eBay as well, I bought 8 GF steak knives for something like $50, retail $128.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Cutco are made from inferior metal and have cheap plastic handles. My buddy used to sell them and he told me hold they used to get people to buy them. Not very ethical.

Buy a custom/hand made Japanese knife made from superior metal/material. I have bought from this site and they have a large range of knives to choose from and have fast delivery.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products.html
  • texegghead
    texegghead Posts: 59
    Options
    Really! A friend of mine has had his Cutco knives for over 6 years and has never had a problem with them or their customer service. It's amazing that they would appear on Modern Marvels if they were that inferior!
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    Facts (not opinion--so lets look at what type of metal Cutco uses to make their knives)

Cutco claims they use the highest quality steel money can buy. They call it high carbon surgical grade steel. Fact is Cutco uses 440A grade steel while most top of the line knives (which is where Cutco is priced at) uses 440C, VG-10, SG-2, which is higher in carbon and totally superior to the cheap 440A. 440C, VG-10, SG-2 are more expensive to make, buy, and manufacture with. 440C, VG-10, SG-2 also makes a sharper edge, and holds it better. And while 440C, VG-10, SG-2 steel is generally only found in top of the line kitchen knives, 440A is often found in the cheaper, run of the mill type kitchen knives (think Walmart/Dollar General cheap). Where they got the surgical grade label is beyond me, 440A steel doesn't have a regular grade and a surgical grade. When you think of surgical instruments you think sanitary, expensive, and high quality- it's just sales hype.

The fact is Cutco uses cheap metal for their knives. There is no debating that.
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    I know. It is hard to argue with facts when you have none. Fact is they are made of cheap metal and have a plastic handle. No debating that. Sure they can have lifetime warranty (so does those cheap knifes you can buy at Wally World). Cutco has ripped off the buyer by using cheap 440A metal/plastic handle and charged them more than 10-15x they are worth. Nice little scam they are pulling.