Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebox divider?

Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, heeelllooooo there!

I have been away for all of the cold season, although I've egged a couple of times (and made my Xmas turkey on the Egg).

And now I'm coming back with a question: is there such a thing as a firebox divider for the Egg? I know there is one for Primo Grill, but I'm looking for one for my large Egg...

Anybody?

Cheers!

Comments

• N.E. Egger
    N.E. Egger Posts: 39
    There is a lump reducing ring from the Ceramic Grill Store.
    http://ceramicgrillstore.com/lumpring.html
    Glenn
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Do you mean a horizonal piece, like the plate setter?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    If your looking for a way to grill and cook indirect at the same time I use a broken pampered chef stone to bake a potato while grilling on the other have of the grid. ;)

I baked potatoes on the broken stone until it was time to sear my steaks.

000_1036.jpg
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    No she means a plate that sits on edge vertically in the middle of the fire box so that you can build a fire on half but have no fire on the other half.
    The Naked Whiz
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store has dividers for that purpose. Check it out. If you don't like what he has you probably could make your own.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    i dont see the usefulness of a firebox divider in a ceramic cooker. :whistle: if you want a hot spot to cook over light the egg close to the back, its normally hotter there anyways and you can make it even hotter lighting it in that area towards the hinge. if you want one area direct over the flames and another indirect, i use a couple firebricks for that and have seen half round stones to do this as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Egg makes a half moon baking stone and half moon raised grid if you are trying to get different temps.
  • Ms.
    That's right, Le Sage Tout Nu.

Like this: http://www.buygasgrills.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=PR314-334

What I want is a place where there is no fire at all, so I can put, for example, my pizza while I put garniture on it.

Or, when I grill a steak, and I want to make certain I get now flames on it once it's seared, I could just put it on the side where there is no flame AT-ALL before I close the lid.
  • Ms.
    Maybe you don't, but then to everyone one's own egging methods, right? And with me being lazy, it's got to be easy... ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    to use the divider occasionally its alot more work, you need to reach in, clean out tall the lump and ash by hand, install the divider, add lump, then start your fire. primo is the only one that has this as far as i know, they didnt have a platesetter so came up with this idea. when you open your dome for the pizza, just shut the lower vent, no fire will rise up, we do that with open dome wok cooking all the time. with the steak i have an old paella pan, i just toss the seared steak in the pan and back in the egg, it collectts juice as it finishes off and i can add some shrooms later for a quick gravey. i do the pan thing more indoors searing on the stove top and finishing in the oven, on the egg i do the trex method, no flames with that method. if you had an adjustable rig i believe they also sell a half moon shaped stone that does the same thing that your looking for though with piza your looking at very small pizzas if your sliding them back and forth. most just assemble the pie and onto the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it