Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Marinade Question

Options
KyEgg
KyEgg Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to smoke a spatchcocked chicken and would like to marinate it overnight. My understanding is that any juices/acids will begin the cooking process and not be good for the meat. Should I use a traditional jerk marinade recipe and not include the juices if I want to do it overnight?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments

• tbk420
    tbk420 Posts: 70
    Options
    I've marinated chicken in lemon juice, soy, and hot sauce for 24 hours without a problem.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to use Italian Salad Dressing for chicken. Be careful if using lemon juice overnight as it is a cooking agent for seviche and will make your meat tuff if left a long time.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Avoid fresh pineapple and it's juice. Pineapple contains bromelain an enzyme that is used as a meat tenderizer. Heat nullifies the effects of bromelain so cooked pineapple is OK and does not have this effect. :)

Blair

• glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'd limit any chicken marinade to 4 hours. A longer time may turn out ok, but you are blanching the chicken to some degree. Beef, and some cuts of pork, repond better to overnight marinades.

Brining is a different process than marinading, and it's fine to go longer times.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    KyEgg,

Traditional jerk is a paste rather than a marinade. It usually contains a little bit of acid, usually vinegar, but just enough to bind the spices. You will be fine overnight if you do a paste. If you are doing a wet marinade with a lot of citrus you may have a problem.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON