Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

never cooked or eaten a slow cooked brisket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have had my bge egg for a year. Have only grilled steaks. (great). Are the briskets bge people cook the same as the ones from a market such as publix and are they as good as they look in the posted pictures

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    robert,[p]The briskets folks tend to cook for bbq are the raw and uncured kind. Flats, whole with points, select, choice and prime all make for good bbq.
    Best to read the label before buying as some stores will sneak in an injected 10% solution of some sodium concoction that will affect the flavor and cooking times.
    Most folks agree that those briskets don't make the best eating.
    Hope this answers your question. [p]John

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    robert, I had my egg for about three years before I did my first brisket. Don't do that. Despite the fact that in SC "BBQ Beef" is an oxymoron, briskets are good. The biggest problem I have had is finding a good size brisket at a reasonable price. Some are only around two pounds and are too thin. I thought my brisket was pretty good but thenm I tasted one from someone who really knew how to do it. Now I know what I'm aiming for. Try it. I think you will enjoy it and then go to a KCBS sanctioned event and taste the winning brisket. Then you will be challenged.

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    robert,
    don't be afraid to give it a try.... i did my first one last spring with my girlfriend( who grew up in texas) follow the instructions on the recipe forum...u can't go wrong...bought my meat at the local store.... anyhow "the brisket expert" said that the one we made was every bit as good as the ones she used to get in texas... briskets aren't too popular here in northeast(coal cracker) pa..in fact it was my first one...good luck... ray

• thank you all for the help

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    ranger ray,
    I just have to say, I feel for you guys that don't have access to great brisket. I have strategically located my office so it's two blocks from a decent BBQ joint and about 8 minutes from the best brisket in town (and 6 minutes from my house --- during rush hour). Of course, I was born in Lockhart, the self-proclaimed barbecue capital of Texas.

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    cbs,just talking about it has made me hungry.... think i'll make one today... right after i make a batch of smoked almonds(i'm hooked!) i'm gonna try experimenting with making some smoked salt too...folks in this area never even heard of barbq brisket! including myself...this egging thing has really affected the way and what i eat...
  • jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    robert,
    i just cooked 3 this weekend.
    i'd suggest buying a cryopac from Sams - they sell Choice. Walmart sells Select, and while I haven't compared it myself, a local BBQ guy told me last week they'd work just as good.
    The whole cut from Sams includes the point (yummy & tender) - unsure about the Walmart piece. [p]Walmart - around $1.20/lb (select)
    Sams - 1.50 (choice)
    Costco (cryo) - 2.50
    Costco (retrimmed) - 3.50
    of course, YMMV (your mileage may vary)[p]Since you've never cooked a brisket, for starters, let me suggest this. Place a whole brisket in an oven bag after trimming off the HUGE chunks of fat - but gotta leave some. Throw in veggies (potato, carrot, onion) and a seasoning. Cook for 4 hours at 225-250. Will make tons of juice, some nice veggies and will be fork tender. Another hour will just make it more tender. 4 hours is a whole lot better than 12, 16 or 20 hours on the grill to find out it didn't turn our good... and there's plenty of stories here about people with brisket that was unedible. Mine didn't turn out as good as I'd like - but my next one may be excellent.