Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan for a Large BGE Plate Setter?

Heavy Doody
Heavy Doody Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do y'all use for drip pans? It seems like a cheap deep dish pizza pan would be perfect. 16" maybe? Or is that too big?

Comments

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    I use disposable aluminum pans. No scrubbing just use and toss.
  • Standard pie-sized, or are you finding something larger?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I use a Heavy duty 14" deep dish stainless steel pizza pan and foil it so there is no clean up other than tossing the foil. Deep disposable aluminum pan works well too.

Here for an indirect barrier and a drip pan for a chicken cook.
    chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

Here it is being used for a support for a Dutch Oven
    chili1.jpg

Here for some greasy beef ribs
    beefrib3done.jpg

Here for an indirect barrier for a ham cook.
    ham4.jpg

GG
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    The pie pans and the square ones. I thing the are somewhere around 8 or nine inches. When I first got an egg I was using a metal cake pan. After getting tired of scraping and cleaning I went the disposable route.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I also use the aluminum pans from Costco, they work great.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    disposable 13x9 aluminum lasagna pans. local store has em for 50¢ each. perfect for a butt.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub

Check Costco or Sams you may well find them cheaper, a lot cheaper.

GG
  • Pizza pan and foil is what I was thinking too. I like the idea of a round pan. Seems like the best coverage.

Is yours a large egg? Does 14" feel like the right size for it?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Foil. Two sheets wide if you only have the narrow stuff.

Stack them and roll a hem along one side. Then open themmlike a book and crimp a round rim of the excess foil. Toss it in the trash when cool
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    ha. I can buy a LOT of 50¢ pans for the $45 membership fee. joined sam's once. lost money. course, now that i have an industrial strength vac sealer.......

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub

Well, you do have a point there my friend. Sometimes I forget some people don't have those memberships. :laugh:

Try locating a restaurant supply...

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

At times I think the 14" is a bit small, but it does work well and there are no air flow problems. I have just not looked for any larger pan.

• Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    I have 14" diameter aluminum pan X 2" deep. Line with foil, just toss the foil when done. You do need to place some foil at the ends of a large brisket if it over hangs your drip pan. Keeps fat and such from getting on the plate setter.

be well
  • I found a 16" pizza pan at Wal Mart for around $4. Line it with foil so no clean up. I build up foil a little higher on sides if I need deeper. I'm a newbie too since April. Hope this helps.
  • I use these

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2888216&cp=4235681.1772914

Probably not the cheapest, but they are easy to use and dispose.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I use a standard Pizza pan from Publix, cost about $6 or 7 it is 13 1/2 inches in diameter and about 3/4 inch deep. I line with foil and have almost no clean up. Kinda like GG's set up.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN