Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice needed on back to back cooks

Options
back2grillin
back2grillin Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing spatchcocked chicken on an xl tonight (grill is on its way to temp) and then doing 2 pork butts tonight...smoking overnight.. loaded the firebox to the top......will i need to reload before the second cook? any other advice on these two items would be appreciated... thanks ahead of time.

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    While I would guess that you are probably ok without reloading, why take the chance? I would reload and sleep better!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Good call, when the chicken is done, stir the coals, top it up. Shut the egg down to your 250 setting and wait for the smoke to clear. As it already lit this should happen fairly quickly. I just did the same on my chicken after brisket cook.

Doug
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I would assume an extra large will hold a lot of lump. I say go for it. 250F dome indirect with a drip pan right. ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Probably overkill with XL, but I would reload. No use taking a chance or be up all night worrying.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    I agree with Tim. There is no need to reload, especially with an XL. I've done similar cooks on a large several times and never reloaded. In fact, I only filled lump to fire bowl to start with every time because I cook chicken direct and the drippings hit the fire which I don't want at the top of fire ring to burn my chicken. If that makes sense.