Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to cook this?

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found a new butcher today. I ordered a couple of nice ribeyes Got home and this is what I had.

102_5041.jpg
I have never cooked a steak this size and not sure how to cook it and end up with a mid rare

Comments

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Me..I would apply olive oil, rosemary, minced garlic, or your favorite DP rub.
    Then on the large BGE with a small BGE cast iron grate on my spyder,legs up. get dome to about 450-500' Sear both sides for two minutes rotating 45' midway for cross hatch grill marks( optional) on the lower grate.Then pull the steak, insert a thermometer probe and place on the egg grate placed on top of the fire ring and cook until 125' internal.Pull and let rest 10 minutes. There are many others who have their favorite way of doing it.You just have to find what you like best. I like doing beef simple, I like the beef to do the talking..not the spices and herbs.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I like that plan and I am partial to DP "Raising the Steaks" :)
  • wkygriller
    Thanks for the suggestion Jon, but I don't have a spider. I do have a small CI grate though. Would hot tubbing it and then sear work?
  • wkygriller
    Will be using raising the steaks!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    A lot of right ways to cook it as long as it's not overcooked. Thats about the weight of most of the ones I do and most time I just grill at 400 on the regular grill height. It will pick up a little char which I like without TRex or reverse sear. Here's a porterhouse from the other night.

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00065.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hot tubbing works really well. Get your home water heater to the temp you want, I think you would want no more than 130, probably more like 125. Bag and dip the meat for how ever long it takes to heat thru to 125 - 130.

Then sear on the Egg. The time depends on the thickness, not the weight. I use the guide "30 seconds for every half inch per side." and the flip and repeat.

The hot tubbing period makes sure the meat is at least up to "rare" cooked. The sear puts on enough browning that the steak tastes really good.

If you like, increase the water temperature for a less red steak.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Dang Pat! $6 a pound for a steak like that?
    That's a great deal!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Hmmm, Hot tubbing sounds interesting. I have an oil-fired boiler for my hot water (and heating) and I typically get 150* out of it most any time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Great deal for the porterhouse but his strips and ribeye's, while at the same price, have no marbling :huh: Funny I have a different butcher to visit depending on which cut I want :laugh: :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ya Got yersef some Canuck beef there shortstop

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Yes,Yes,Yes.Hot tub then sear.SALT is the ONLY seasoning that will not burn on the sear.Salt it,sear it,rest it,season with whatever you like,roast it til desired internal temp.For Med-rare,that would be 125 I.T. for me.Rest 10 minutes then serve :)
  • wkygriller
    Thanks everyone for the help. I did the hot tub method 100 degrees for 1 hour. Put on the grate 500 degrees. Followed Pat's post "cook it however you want, just don't overcook it" ( thats what I picked up from the post)

On the egg
    102_5045.jpg

Went to 125 and pulled for a 10 min rest. Next time I will pull @ 120

102_5046.jpg

Ended up with a medium but it was so juicy and full of flavor.

102_5048.jpg
    Sorry for the bad pics, but trust me when I say it was the best ribeye I have ever eaten
  • Hoss
    Too Hot. :) Best to hot tub the steak @ 110-115 for an hour or so.150 would be WAAAAYYY too done. :blink: In "my" opinion. :)
  • wkygriller
    Hoss, I went 100 for an hour (believe it or not I picked that up from little Steven) I just went too long on the grate. Next time I will go less.
  • Hoss
    Glad it worked.That 500 cook temp probably carried it over 10-15 degrees on the rest.(135-140) at serving time.Cool thing is now you get to eggsperiment again!!! ;) It looked MITEE TASTEE.
  • Hoss
    You are off to a BEAUTIFUL start! ;):) One thing I keep in mind.I can cook anything a little more if it's too rare,but NO ONE can uncook anything! ;) :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That's why I almost always try and end the cook with a raised grid roasting at 350-400. Way less carry over. ;)
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Excellent example of how hot tubbing a streak should turn out. Very Nice.
  • I think it looks great,next time we come down i want one.
  • wkygriller
    If you don't make it down before we go to the bbq boot camp I will bring a couple of them up with me to cook on your egg! ;)