Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt on Small??

Options
wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the small BGE big enough for a 9-10 pounder? anyone done one on a small?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I've done a few. Normally 7-8 pounders. Most all of them take 13 hours on the nads, but my last one went over 20 and the small made it happen. I did have a pile of lump in it and had to give a wiggle into the lower grate twice to release the ash buildup. Give it a go, just fill it UP. ;)
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    I did a 9 pounder week before last with no issues on the small.
  • wmd36
    wmd36 Posts: 58
    Options
    I guess my biggest concern was running out of lump.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Fill it all the way up and cook at 250-275. No issues. Been there done that.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I use RO and I have done 2 butts on small without issue. You will be getting by on fumes at the end if you are below 250* but it works. Just don't open up there dome towards the end so you don't lose heat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    worst that could happen is you run out and add more :laugh: theres always the option to wrap in foil and finish in the oven, after its been in the egg so long i dont think anyone would notice a difference
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I have done it many times, and have run out of lump twice...then transferred to oven as Fish suggested. The is no shame in an oven finish after 10+ hours on an Egg. I dont wrap mine though.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have done an 8 pounder many times. To go past 10 hours on the smal requires careful fire building, and the use of a wiggle rod to keep the ash from clogging up the air flow. 12 hours is entirely possible on the small.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I had to finish one in the oven once, got wonderful compliments... no one know the difference but me.