Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Roast

Options
Kailas
Kailas Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first Boston Butt Friday night/ Saturday.

I used a rub from Famous Dave Anderson's book as I liked the ingredients in it. This was also my first use of a DigiQ DX that I just purchased.

My roast weighed in a 7.76 lbs.
_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures_IMG00013.jpg

After being properly dressed in rub.
-DeviceMemory-home-user-pictures-IMG00014.jpg

After 17 hours at 250 degrees
DeviceMemoryhomeuserpicturesIMG00015.jpg

I must admit that hitting the plateau at 170 degrees did cause me concern as the wife was getting hungry from the aroma wafting from the BGE. But once the meat started gaining temp, I upped the DigiQ to 275 degrees to finish it.
Took the meat off at 195 after checking tenderness, wrapped it in foil, towels and put in thermos cooler for an hour. This was the best pulled pork we've ever had. I served it with a dash of BBQ sauce and some coleslaw.

Sorry I don't have photos of that part as I was too busy eating!

The hardest part of the cook was lifting the roast out of the BGE as it wanted to fall apart, it was so tender. Perfection! BGE ROCKS!!

Comments

• eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    Options
    Man, that looks good. I tried one the other day, and it I guess I overcooked it. I'll have to try again.
  • Kailas
    Options
    I was nervous as this was my first.

But trust the advice that's given here and go for it again. That plateau thing is the hardest thing to deal with. I'm a type A personality and when the meat is in control, I tend to be ornery. Lol.

But in the end it was juicy, and full of flavor. That rub was awesome and the smoke flavor was to die for. I used just a handful of Cowboy Applewood chips, which I did end up soaking in water for 30 minutes before the cook. Some say you don't need it, but I did it anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised that the BGE kept cooking for 17 hours. I did have to wiggle the grate though to keep it gong after about 13 hours. I used the cleaning tool thingie, but do intend to buy a proper wiggle rod.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    You aced it!! Congrats!!
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Options
    Very nice looking butt! :laugh: I hope to get one on this week sometime. What was the fill level of your lump and what brand did you use?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    That looks great; can hardly wait to do my first butt. ;)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Kailas
    Options
    SheepDog wrote:
    Very nice looking butt! :laugh: I hope to get one on this week sometime. What was the fill level of your lump and what brand did you use?

I currently use BGE Lump. Basically Royal Oak.
    I followed some fairly common instructions by cleaning out my firebox, sorting my lump by size and then the placement.

Put the largest lump you have in the center. Then place your next largest lumps all around it like a jigsaw puzzle trying to fill up as much space as you can. Then layer the next largest over that, followed by the small stuff up to the top of the firebox. Light the center on the top.

I haven't checked to see how much was left after the 17 hour burn, but it was still going strong.