Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled beef confsion

Options
UPEgger
UPEgger Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In studying some 55 of the pulled beef archives I have become confused about the cooking times per pound of chuck roast. They seem to vary from 1hr to 2 hrs per pound. I purchased an 8lb choice chuck roast. So the time could vary from 8hrs to 16hrs to get the meat to 160F internal. I will probably put the roast on at around 0700 tomorrow and stay up until it is done. I will only do stage l and stage II of Clays pulled beef recipe. I just want the pulled beef. Any suggestions on the times?? UPEgger.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Just like butts and fresh ham each piece has its own life. Just start cooking and give yourself enough time to go the full 16 if you have to.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I think the cooking times vary by what method you are doing. If you are doing Clay's cook, where you finish in a dutch oven, it will be a shorter cook then if you just straight smoke the beef. I haven't studied the recipes as much as you but that's my guess. Good luck with the cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hope your cooking past 160, i foil mine around 180 and cook to around 210 internal for pull
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    Strongly agree, 205 to 210 :)
  • UPEgger
    UPEgger Posts: 39
    Options
    10-4 on the temps. 180 & then double foil to 210 Thanks. UPEgger
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    LOL I haven't heard 10-4 in years until now - and what's even funnier is I did not know/remember/whatever until this afternoon that the contraband being carried in the Smokey and the Bandit movies was COORS beer!

Just for old times sake - let me sign off this way like I did during those wonderful CB years...

This be the Irish Rover...he broke - he spoke - he gone
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    As fishlessman said....Go past the 160 mark.
    Take it to at least 190 F. for pulling.
    150 F. be for slicing.

"Red Fox...Over and Out" ;)