Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket questions and help needed

Options
JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put on a 9.5# brisket at 3 PM this afternoon. Dome temp has been between 225 and 250 all day. Daisy wheel is currently almost all the way closed and the bottom vent is open about an 1/8 of an inch. Temp started at 35 at 3 PM and now at 8:30 PM is at 170. There has been no plateau at all, just a steady climb. Every other time I've done a brisket it has been about 2 hours per pound and it looks like this one may be done way too soon to be hot at lunch tomorrow. Any thoughts? What is the best way to reheat brisket???[p]HELP![p]Thanks,
John

Comments

• Charles in SC
    Options
    JM3,
    I would not slice it until after it is reheated tommorrow at lunch. Cut into about 3-4 oz chunk, heat in a microwave(2-3 min) then slice. When I freeze cooked brisket I cut it into 3-4 oz hunks and wrap individually in saran type film. The smaller the pieces the faster it freezer burns.
    I have kept it frozen over 6 months with no problem.
    I am far from an eggspert but I have cooked tons of brisket.
    My .02 worth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo John
    170 internal is still not too late to back off a bit on your cooking temps, and hold it there or even let it drop internally to 165 or whatever. Then again, sounds like a long way to lunch tomorrow. [p]goin on a limb here as I have not been quite this far ahead, but if you can slow it down enough to hold it in the plateau (155-170) for 6 more hours, then let it work up into the 190s an hour or two after that, you are lookin at 6 or 6:30 am. 5 hours resting in the cooler is not crazy, and you should be in for a serious lunch.[p]Just what I would do. Cooling that thing off at this point, and reheating just doesn't seem right.[p]just some ideas.
    Good luck, and let us know what happened.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    JM3,
    Hope I'm not chiming in too late on this one. Did you check to make sure that your probe was positioned right? That steady rapid climb might be due to the probe being in too far or maybe at a downward angle and you could be reading temps from very close to the surface of the meat.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• JM
    JM Posts: 39
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p] I checked the probe and even inserted a second thermometer in a different area of the brisket. They are only 1-3 degrees different.[p]John
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    I think the thunderstoms that rolled through Augusta helped. They cooled the egg off and the plateau for this brisket was at about 178 degrees. I ended up pulling the brisket off at 5:30 this morning. I'll let you know how it taste after lunch.[p]John