Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Bacon ???

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up 2-- 4 1/2 lbs each pork belly from an oriental meat market. The skin is still on.

PORKBELLYDSCN1129.jpg

Have done several pork butt and pork loin Hi Mountain bacons over the years.

Question 1--Should I leave the skin on or remove before brining?

Question 2--How long should I brine?

Thanks in advance. Be kind, today is my B-day.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01676a.jpg

Hey Richard, you will love homemade bacon. It's much better than store bought, plus you can tweak your recipe to get it right where you want it to be.

As much as I praise Hi Mountain Buckboard on loins and butts, I've not used it for belly bacon. But for some general technique and a possible timeline, I have a very good Guest Pit Boss how-to from Lynne which features belly bacon. It calls for Tenderquick.

Lynne's Bacon
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Put the belly with your cure in a large ziploc bag in the fridge for about 7 days. Flip it every other day.

On the seventh day, poke the belly and if it's firm it's done (it should be). If not, leave it in for another day.

Then smoke it for about 2 hours at 200 deg. Take off when you reach an internal temperature of 150.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Richard: I have done belly bacon skin on, and skin off, and DEFinately recommend removing the skin! Pretty much like skinning a filet of fish. You will love the bacon. And on the bright side, cut the skin into strips and pieces, and deep fry for homemade cracklins'!! A week curing should be adequate. Turn every day. Soak out and dry overnight before smoking. (I'll be talking to you later, but this will get you started)
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    Richard - I am working on my 7th batch now. I have used both Tender Quick and Pink Salts/Salt cures with various flavorings added. My favorite features brown sugar and maple syrup, very sweet bacon. I use 7 days with the daily flip, two one hour soaks after curing, maple wood smoke at 200 degs to 150 internal. I love the bacon so much I purchased a Food slicer to make that job easier. Oh, I always leave the skin on until smoked the slicing it off is very easy.