Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast in a Salt Crust (pic hvy)

Options
2»

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Could you put that is Recipe form. How does this differ from searing the Rib roast first and then indirect. I know there is a difference but the method you did would seem to be more the classic way of doing a Rib roast. Lawrys roast their Prime Rib on Rock Salt.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Here is an another one you might want to do LC , Garlic salt and pepper crusted Prime rib

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=568469&catid=1

Ross
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Num,Num,,eat em up!!! B)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey LC! That looks fantastic! I have been thinking about doing something along those lines with a loin cut of beef or pork. I seen Alton Brown do it on Food Network.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_26998_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html

I bet the lamb was bursting with juice and flavor! :P

I hope you had a nice trip. Tell Bubba Tim I said hello.

Tim
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    "Bubba Tim decided I needed a nice Egg'd meal", I'm thinking Bubba Tim decided he needed a nice meal after you being gone! :whistle: It looks great, Michelle! Did any smoke flavor permeate the salt layer and did the additional spices you added, assist in the flavor profile?
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    THANKS
    we will give this a shot today. I am picking up a 3 rib roast at 1pm. We are doing a test drive for Thanksgiving dinner. I know the answer from you follow up post but will clarify a few points.

- you don't recommend any sear, right
    - for meal planing at the 325 (NO HIGH COOK START) cook about how long do you estimate it would take to reach the pulling temp

Thanks again, great post.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Beautiful prime rib, looks perfectly roasted! :cheer: I gotta try this someday, thinking about a leg of lamb in salt crust...might be worth a try. Thanks for the recipe.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Thanks for the good idea. I have a leg of lamb in the freezer.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    michelle, that looks fantastic!!! ...one question. ..can you take the salt dome afterwards and grind it up and use it like salt on the sliced meat?? just curious if anyone has ever done that...
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve....Correct....Stabilize at 325*, and let it ride. The high temp was not necessary.
    This roast was 6.5 lbs....and took about 1:40. (and a 30 minute rest after). I would imagine at 3 lbs, it shouldn't take much more than an hour, but pull according to internal temp. I pulled at 122*, and got 10* carryover during the rest. You will get less for a 3 lb roast, but still expect about an 8* carryover.
    Use kosher salt!! Table salt is far too fine. I used 5 cups of kosher salt, and egg whites from 4-5 eggs....salt should feel like wet sand and be able to hold its shape slightly.
    Wishing you the best!! Please post your results!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Big Un....LOL!!!! Well....he bought the meat..... :blush:..... :woohoo: :laugh: . Actually this cook was a joint effort....lol.
    I did not use any smoke...just Royal Oak lump. I am not sure if the smoke would have permiated the meat to be honest....perhaps if smoked heavily, but I am not a smoked food fan anyways, so it wasn't even in consideration.
    Thanks! Let me know if you try it! :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Max...That sounds like an excellent idea! I did not try it, but don't see why it can't be done. My main concern would be that since the salt is bound by egg whites, the salt would have to be treated like a perishable. I dont think I would use it other than for that one seating.....but certainly a concept worth trying!! Thanks for sharing the idea! ;) Also, the crust is very hard. Make sure to use something heavy duty for the grinding, like a food processor. I will try that next time! :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Frank...Thanks!! :) The amount of carryover depends a lot on the size of the roast, and the temp it was cooked at....this was 6.5 lbs. I wouldn't expect a 10* rise in a 3 lb roast....but maybe 8*. So yes, 115* should carry over the same. I will be honest, Tim and I are absolutely med rare fans....I would not have wanted this roast TOO much more rare.... maybe I could have pulled at 119*.....but it was pretty close to perfect med rare. It is my conclusion that the outer edges were a bit brown more so from the salt (curing) factor rather than being overcooked. I will be anxious to hear if you try this!! :) We will definately do this again.