Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which BBQ Guru?

HawkeyeChief
HawkeyeChief Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at getting a BBQ Guru possibly. Which one should I get. With a Guru I would probably use it for 2 long cooks a week (13hr+) I have a large egg and hope to add either another large or a medium by 2012.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

There is no need to get a powered vent system to do the long cooks. The PVS usually makes things easier.

Personally I would get the DigiQ series if you want to monitor multiple meats or control/monitor multiple eggs then take a long look at the Stoker. For me, I would buy the Stoker as opposed to the DigiQ, due to the expandability and additional features the Stoker offers.

When I use my DigiQ I always use the Maverick dual remote thermometer with alarms (another $60) so I monitor the DigiQ from anywhere in the house.

Both the Stoker and DigiQ are great units and work well.

GG
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    The stoker is a great option. I can monitor my cooks from anywhere on my cell phone and even change the temps.

http://www.rocksbarbque.com/
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    If you don't need anything fancy the nano is great. IT does NOT have a digital display, but it is easy to set. It only monitors the pit temp and not the meat. It's simple and easy and therefore....cheaper. If you like the ones you can access on the computer and iPods and and other devices there are options out there. They are great. Any of them.

Enjoy.
  • If I buy the Basic Stoker system (as opposed to the dual)now would I need a second stoker when I get another egg or would it be able to add a second egg with the purchase of another fan, sensors, etc?
  • Grandpas Grub

No, the Stoker expands just by plugging in new probes and fans. There has been a picture posted controlling 6 eggs at the same time.

Buy additional probes/blowers as you need to expand. Here I am cooking a brisket and monitoring both the flat and point as well as monitoring the pit (grate level) and dome temperatures.

ldbrisket1.jpg

While doing that I was able to record the temperatures and times during the cook.

brisketlog.jpg

GG
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I have the BBQ Guru, Nano model. It works fine, but I wish I would have spent a little more and got either the Digi Q or the Stoker. If I had it to do all over again, I think I'd get the Stoker, as I'm kinda a gadget guy, and the iphone monitoring is very intriguing.
  • Grandpas Grub

Put the nano up for sale... I bought the DigiQ then I wanted the bells and whistles and bought the Stoker. I still haven't sold the DigiQ and at times I use both at the same time. However I do use the stoker to monitor the pit and meat in the egg using the DigiQ. I should probably sell the DigiQ and buy another blower for the Stoker.

GG