Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ramp Mode on Digi

Options
wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am attempting my first Butt w the digi q on the EGG this weekend. I have never used the Digi Q before. I was wondering if I should use the ramp mode, or not , and what it does exactly??
Also what kind of Daisy Wheel , and bottom slider/ Fan opening settings setting are you all using.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I would not use the ramp mode unless you want to prolong your cook. Ramp mode will lower the pit temp the closer the food temp reaches it target. You will have a marathon cook if you use it.

I set the daisy peddles so only a tooth pick will fall through.

I use the 10 cfm pit viper and close it to 1/3 open or where you only see one line on the slider.

I clip my pit probe to the dome probe and set the pit temp to 250F
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ramp mode is intended for if you aren't going to be around when you think the meat will be done. As the meat gets closer to the target temperature you have set, the controller will lower the cooker temperature. Eventually, the cooker temperature will be the same as the meat temperature and at that point, the meat temperature should remain close to the target. You wouldn't use this feature normally.
    The Naked Whiz
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I would not use it if you are around, like has been said.

I like to have my meat done 3 hours before and then wrap in Saran Wrap followed by Aluminum Foil and put in a cooler with towels. It will hold hot for 5 hours at least and more if you put in bricks heated into the cooler.

This accomplishes a couple of things:

1) It ensures that your meat is done when the meal is going to be served.

2) It allow the meat temp to stabilize and tenderize as it steams itself in the cooler. The meat tastes better after a couple of hours.

3) It frees up the egg for apps or other shorter cook items.

4) It frees up the cook for other items / socializing.