Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gadgets for the new guy

Options
Cschric
Cschric Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to the green egg, what are the most important accessories for the egg. I already have the place setter and the pizza stone. I'm thinking of a cast iron grill and a wireless thermometer. Summer is coming and I'm read to start. Thanks to everyone for being patient with the new person.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Cast iron is nice but very pricy for a large egg. A thermapen would be handy to have for checking quick temps. A wireless thermo is handy for a quick glance without opening the egg. The talking ones like Rolling Egg has are the bomb. It even told him last Thursday that he left his truck door open and drained his battery :P
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    ThermaPen - $95.00
    Maverick ET-732 - $59.00
    Ash tool - $20.00 (?)
    Wiggle Rod - $20.00 (?)
    Third Hand / three finger dealio - 25.00 (?)

That's about it.

Oh, not sure where the name came from, but I think it's a "Plate" setter, not a "Place" setter.

Calibrate your dome temp gauge and go for it!

Ted
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    The prob therm is a must doesn't have to be wireless. IMHO a cast iron grill is overated they get real dirty and rusty. I would get a slightly smaller grill and a couple of fire bricks for an elavated grill setup it raises the food higher into the dome for a more consistant heat for fish and spatchcock chicken other than that a nice pair of BBQ mitts and a set of tongs and your set.

FierWalker
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    If you have a large, check out the Ceramic Grill store. Tom is one of us and makes outstanding Egg-fess ties.

Http://ceramicgrillstore.com
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Food and a decent thermometer. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    A good thermometer is all you "need". Most here have thermapens.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    thermapen hands down and the adj rig from the ceramic grill store. then a wok. learn to set your temps and have the egg hold them before you jump into a guru or something like that. they are great but it is good thing to learn. grid lifter, wiggle stick :)
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    Buy an Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store. I actually bought the Adjustable Rig / Spider Combo and got a cast iron grid that i can put on the Spider. Check out their website.
  • SmkyJ
    SmkyJ Posts: 17
    Options
    get the CI grate and the thirdhand from thirdeye. It makes life very easy lifting the grate in and out. Also in vest in a good pair of welders gloves and rubber food handling gloves.I also like the V rack for big hunks of meat and ribs. Welcome! you will love this thing! another tip is to let the charcoal burn for about 15 minutes to avoid food getting too smoky. this forum will be your new favorite website.
    jeff
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    LOVE my cast iron grid. Had it since Aug 09 when I bought my first egg, have used it for almost every cook and it has never had even a hint of rust. I've even forgotten it a few times and left it out in the rain. Still no rust. The secret is - NEVER WASH IT! Do you NEED one? Of course not.

Accessories? Some way to raise the grid to gasket level. I use three pieces of square tubing I cut to fit. some use carriage bolts from the hardware store. Others spend big bucks for the adjustable rig. Mine was made from scrap and was free. :)
    4056055785_7421cd60d0_b.jpg

I have a Thermapen. It tells me (quickly and accurately) how far beyond desired temp I have gone. I almost always do that.

Wiggle rod (I bent some 3/16" wire into an L) to poke up thru the bottom of the fire grate to make sure the holes aren't clogged. Bent coathanger works too.

Ash tool to clean out the ashes after every few cooks.

Grid gripper to move the grid as needed. I use a three pronged garden rake for the heavy CI grid. Cheap and works great.

4576460558_2ca20cf960_b.jpg

Pizza/Baking stone

That's about it for accessories you "need".

Oh, some cast iron cookware is nice too. A Dutch oven and a skillet or two.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    RU Eggsperienced wrote:
    Buy an Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store. I actually bought the Adjustable Rig / Spider Combo and got a cast iron grid that i can put on the Spider. Check out their website.

+1 on the Adjustable Rig / Spider Combo.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • jgroes
    jgroes Posts: 29
    Options
    New the BGE club as well. Have had mine a few weeks now and already have put mile and miles on it :)

Here's what I've picked up thus far:

-Maverick ET73 wireless thermometer (for long cooks)
    -Thermapen
    -Adjustable rig from the ceramic store
    -Small cast iron grid for placing on the spider (see http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ for details)
    -Various wood chips
    -Various seasonings

The main thing is to get some on the grill and learn. I managed to pull off an 18 hour 30# butt roast that went very well and have yet to come close to ruining a meal. Only advice I'd give you is to learn temperature control before you try to cook. Happy egging!

Cheers,
    JG
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    Options
    I think all but one thing has been mentioned. Lots and lots of aluminum foil!! :)

Welcome,

Jay
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Steven,
    Everyone whats Csxheic to buy the store. I'm with you, a good thermometer is all that is actually required.
  • N.E. Egger
    N.E. Egger Posts: 39
    Options
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    Options
    D'oh. How do you forget that. :ohmy: Sorry my bad :whistle:
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I do have a lot of accessories but Id have to rate my thermapen as #1
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The most valuable accessories that I have purchased and would purchase again.

For me these are a must and in order:
    . Adjustable Rig & Spider
    . Thermapen (no substitutes)
    . Maverick ET-732
    . Dutch Oven

Nice to have and would buy at some point in time:
    . Stoker (powered vent system)
    . second egg

The rest will come in time...

GG
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have had mine for not even 5 months and have most of the items listed. I love the foil comment!

Don't forget:

Drip pan of some sort.
    Ash bucket system. There was a great post of drilling some holes in a paint bucket.
    A bag of peanuts hangs out by my Egg to go with the beer.
    If you are going to cook pizza, consider what kind of replacement gasket, or no gasket.
    I have an old patio umbrella I use - a must for the Pacific Northwest.
    I don't have a weed burner, so when I run out of fire starter I use paper towels soaked in cooking oil.
    The most recent tip I use if putting the daisy wheel in the egg after cooking to keep it clean.

And of all these suggestions, I really enjoy the wireless thermometer and being able to monitor temps from inside.

Don't forget to calibrate the dome thermometer!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Cschric, Welcome to the forum. :)

First things first. Get you a thermapen by TermoWorks.com

Next read this forum everyday. :)

Keep coming back.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    I've only owned my BGE for less than two weeks, but I found one necessary accessory right off the bat, that hasn't been mentioned: a leather glove!
    Maybe I'm just a wimp, but running the egg wide open for charring a steak, I could not use my "touch test" to see if my steak was done, and I've singed the hairs off my right hand. I wouldn't know how to add wet woodchips to the charcoal without a grate handle/plier, either...
    Haven't tried cooler temps yet, this coming weekend. ;)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Third hand - as others have said.
    Therm - reassuring when you aren't sure

Playing time and an excuse to use it!
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    My CI grid I use on my Lg BGE was made for a Small BGE and bought it from the mothership a few years ago... I put it on my spider or sometimes just on top of the normal grid to put nice grill marks on a steak.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Hello James. Good comment, I should have put that in the list of must haves. I love the ThirdHand and use it all the time.

Hope all is well with you and the family.
    Kent