Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Stir Fry

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I gotta give credit to claycamp for starting a thread on woks today to get my mind jump started and everybody else here on the egghead forum for all the help and info I was able to gather using the search forum. I had a craving now for chinese and I knew that I had to attempt it. But I don't have a wok or a spider (an egg accessory) and with Stacie being laid off yesterday :evil: , I am not gonna get one anytime soon. But still, the seed had been planted. I wanted to do my own stir fry and I wanted it to be good. How to go about it?

Seems like a big complaint about stir fry is that most stoves never get quite hot enough to do it properly. But with an egg....well that shouldn't be a problem. Some more research and some creative thinking and I was on my way.

But what about a recipe? Asked Stacie and she said she had a good one in her Sonoma Diet Cookbook. Ok....well it should be healthy, right? Yes...good! Went with a Szechwan Beef recipe with a few personal touches.

One thing about stir fry....make sure to prep all your ingredients before hand. Once you start, it all goes quick and you don't have time to stop.

Here are my starters. Everything was just laying around the house.

Meat...petite sirloin steak. Not sure what this cut is good for and as a result it sat in the fridge for a bit until today.

P1020601.jpg

Some veggies

P1020602.jpg

P1020603.jpg

So how did I do it? Cranked the egg up to 500 and got it stabilized. Didn't have a wok so what to do....how about cast iron? Sure, why not? This piece came down from my Grandma. Don't know anything about it except that it has an 8 and D on the back (would love info if somebody knows) This is a pic of the set up. I forgot to take one before I started so this is somewhere in the middle.

P1020604.jpg

I seared the meat first and then pulled it off to rest while I did the veggies.

P1020606.jpg

Meat back in along with the sauce

P1020607.jpg

Some plated up pics

P1020608.jpg

P1020610.jpg

Man, I have to say, this was so good. Better than the local place we call for Chinese. The only problem was I had no eggrolls. Oh well, great meal and the only thing I had to buy was some peanut oil, everything else I had on hand. Stoked that I got leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments