Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread Temp

Options
Snickers
Snickers Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm baking bread, using plate setter and putting dough on a stone.

What should dome temp be ?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    whats worked for me is getting the stone high in the dome and dropping the temps from the directions a little to compensate for the radiant heat off the dome. directions say 550, i go 500. im not a big bread baker but that seems to work for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Whatever the recipe indicates is a good starting point.

Some breads cook at 300-325, some at 525-550. Depends on the ingredients, hydration level, loaf shape, etc.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    he said "loaf shape" :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    What does the recipe say?

If it doesn't go with 400 deg and the loaf is done when the internal temp is 190deg.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    190&deg is a good mark for white bread (I prefer a little higher)....205&deg is generally better for whole grains.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    A lot depends on altitude and which one of my starters I am using. My rye starter needs 205 deg but my super sd starter loves closer to 198 deg. I have to watch that starter when making a loaf because it will sometime rise to quickly and have an impact on the oven spring. I also have a barley loaf and it does better at a higher internal temp.