Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still no power in north AL

Options
smoky b
smoky b Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We were blessed to avoid a direct hit from the storm but the nuclear facility at Browns Ferry was disabled leaving pretty much everyone north of Birmingham in the dark. So we are leaning on the egg for 3 meals a day (including hot coffee)! We fled south to stay with family on the coast for a few days but we'll be heading back today. I'll try to get some pics of using the eggs to power the french press! Prayers to all of those suffering loss of life and property.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    We dodged the tornadoes some how. :unsure: Our town took a direct hit in February 2008 here in Macon county and surnonding counties in Tennessee and Kentucky. Prayers go out to all the victims and familys.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    I've been using my phone to stay in contact with the outside world. Rainsville, AL, my home town took a direct hit with 36 confirmed dead in my town alone. Thats a lot regardless, but considering this is a small two red light town its a whole lot! The local school, was severely damaged, with about half deemed unsafe to occupy. It was tremendous to see the students, probably close to 50 or 60 current students up there working and a lot of faculty and former students as well.
    Also, heard a nice gesture from a friend who graduated from the University of ALabama and is now a grad student at Harvard. They were having a graduation formal dance and the final song was "Sweet Hone Alabama" in honor of the student whose home was severely damaged and they have set up a collection fund for those impacted.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    God be with you, and all of those dealing with this tragic event. Though the egg will come in handy, there's nothing like the conveniences of electricity. Our hospital (Springhill Memorial) is coordinating a drive to fill a truck to send north - "Springhill Rolling for Alabama" - we'll be loading it Tuesday morning. I'm heading out now to purchase items to send....still can't believe the devastation. Drive safely and post again when you can... :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Hang in there my friend - the goodness in people always comes out in times like these. Prayers to you and yours and looking to future posts on the recovery in your area. :)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Looks like it will take months on end to repair all the devestating damage to the power grids across such a massive area involving numerous companies, generating sources, power lines/towers & all. My heart goes out to all and today I made a donation to the Red Cross in support of the monumental task of caring for those who are homeless or otherwise in need.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    Wish you the best and some lights very soon!