Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Spots and Trex Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a huge fan of the Trex method to cook my steaks. However, the only problem I have had is inconsistency in "doneness" of individual steaks if I am cooking several at once. Four KC Strips might vary from medium to medium rare even though they have been cooked the same time.[p]What are the main reasons to have hot spots (or cool spots for that matter) and how do you prevent them?

Comments

• biglabmaggie,
    haven't i already told you the answer to this question? are you cooking with a clean egg?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    Hot spots are inevitable in the egg..one way around it would be a longer preheat time to allow for as many if not all of the coals to be burning. If you see the entire bed of lump glowing red or flaming you should not have an issue with hot spots. HTH[p]Wess

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    I agree to limit hot spots, let the fire stabilize. I cook a lot of 1.5"-2" rib eyes, sometimes as many as six at a time, on the BGE. At a stable fire, they all are done to what we like, which is Med.Rare. BTW , my desired temp, is about 800-900F.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    biglabmaggie,[p]When you're cooking multiple steaks, having one done before the other is almost inevitable, just because thickness and fat content can vary, as well as initial starting temperature. Making sure all coals are burning is a good step towards getting a more even heating across the surface of your cooking grid - in fact, the high temp sear usually accomplishes just that for you - and, by the time you've let your Egg settle back to 400 for the roast you usually have a pretty evenly-heated cooking surface.[p]If all else fails, a Thermopen is a good investment, especially if your company requires that certain steaks be cooked more or less than others.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
  • LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    jock, my, my, aren't we quite the helpful "expert".[p]Now go sit down and color.[p][p]LVM

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    biglabmaggie,[p]I had the same problem. I noticed that one area (close to bottom vent, R/H side) was not getting as hot - less fire - very noticable when you look. Have no idea as to why it was doing this. Egg was cleaned out, etc. And I have two large BGE's, same symptom on both! ??[p]Anyway, what I do now is when the fire is getting close to "volcanic", I put the glove on, grab my trusty DO lid lifter and give the fire a quick stir or two. And I do mean 'quick'!!![p]I can tell the difference when looking at the fire. No more cool spot. And, yes, much less problem with differences in doneness.[p]Keep in mind what TRex said about the differences in individual cuts of meat.[p]Hope this helps, just my $.05 worth.[p]Happy Egg'n,[p]LVM[p]

• LasVegasMac,
    How else am i to respond to my brother in law??!!

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    jock,

please accept my apology. Did not know that this was a "family" matter. [p]You are cleared hot. Fire at will, I repeat, fire at will![p]LOL[p]You guys should have a good time with the BGE stuff.[p]LVM[p]

• ToyCollector
    Options
    biglabmaggie,[p]Not sure what size Egg you are using, but my small definitely can have hot and cold spots depending on how the lump burns. Large is more even due to size of mass.