Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Trout

Options
cast away
cast away Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had really delicious results from smoking some haddock for an hour over hickory chips and am going to be fishing for trout in a couple days. Any one have suggestions to offer for best results?

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Leave head on, clean and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper all over. Stuff belly cavity with sliced lemons and a little fresh or dried dill, fresh is best. Hot smoke indirect around 250-275 degrees until internal temp of the fish reads 145-150 in the thickest part and your ready to serve.
    Enjoy.
    Tip, smaller trout has the best flavor, larger trout(8 lbs.+) you can cure and smoke with excellent results.
  • toquina
    toquina Posts: 94
    Options
    I have done some whole trout. I used a salt water and old bay seasoning as a brine for about an hour or so. They turned out quite tasty. I have been looking for my recipe to give but I am having trouble locating it.

If I remeber correctly it was like this

1Cup cold water
    1/4 kosher salt
    1 tbsp old bay

I am still going to look and I will let you know if there are any changes
  • cast away
    Options
    Thanks for the insights....but NO trout to smoke yet :(
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Any one have suggestions to offer for best results?

Well, around here if a fly or lure won't work, we reach for a worm. Heheheeee.

OctoberFishing061GF2s8x10.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • cast away
    Options
    NICE RAINBOW!....I'm jealous....I'll use whatever is legal to catch and look forward to going today....
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Thanks. I bet the best advice I can share from a lifetime of trout fishing, and this is especially true if you plan to cure and smoke them, is to field dress them immediately after landing them and get them in a cooler on ice. Trout are not really a stinger fish.

Good luck today!!
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery