Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Length of burn on the small & Mini

Turk
Turk Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the large and love it. However, I am thinking of going with a small or mini as a second. Experienced eggers: What is the lengt of burn on the small and mini at say 350 dome with a full load. Also what is the length of low and slows on the mini and small?

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Turk,
    I have a mini and a small but have not used the small yet. The mini has seen a lot of cooks and gets used more than any of my other eggs. It's just the wife and I most of the time so the mini is cooking two steaks, pork chops, 4 burgers, a package of hotdogs, pork tenderloins, and couple of taters. I have never paid attention to how long the mini was fired up but I'm sure it can go several hours for sure. I fill my mini with lump right to the bottom of the grid. Hopefully someone will chime in about the small.
    All that said I love the mini, her real name is Piglet but I often refer to her as the little lean mean grilling machine.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    I've gone 15+ hours on the small @ 250* indirect. I did have to clean the ashes out to keep good air flow. I've never really checked to see how long I could go at 350*. My mini I usually use it for grilling so never checked the time on it. Mike
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Here is an 8# butt that was done on the small. I think this is the one that went a little over 15 hours. Mike

DSC00658.jpg
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have done 12 to 14 hour low and slow 8# pork butt cooks on the small at 250°. Going more than 11 hours depends on careful fire building (big pieces of lump on the bottom) and using a wiggle rod a couple of times later in the cook. My small can do everything my large can do, just on a smaller scale of course. I have the gratemates made by Chubby to do raised grid cooks.

There are some folks on the forum that do low and slow cooks on a mini, but I think that would be easier and more practical on a small.

I can regularly do three dinner cooks at 350° on one load of lump on my small. I don't really know a max time at 350° but I would guess about six hours.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    No clue about 350, because most stuff at that temp is done far sooner than the length of time it'd take the lump to run out

I once through ribs on the small and then left for the day, coming back six hours or so later. In all was maybe 7 hours and they were done, on one load of lump
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I have the L,M,S and mini eggs. I don't use the small much at all. I can get about 4 hours on the mini with a single load of lump - or 3 to 4 cooks equaling about 4 hours.

GG
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Thanks Everyone
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I have both large and small, use the small for 90% of the time. I can go probably 6-7 hours at 350.