Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guava Wood for Smoking

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just want to draw attention to an earlier post from Greg Kemp. Greg is part of the early crew here on the BGE Forum. After a long absence, he is back. Here is the good thing for us; he lives in Hawaii on Guava Farm. This means that he guava wood and lots of it. He sells chunks of the wood to be used in BGE. For those who have never had the opportunity to try Guava wood for smoking meats, I suggest that you do. There is an Island flavor that is out of this world. I have some guava chunks that I have been rationing out simply because I did not think that I could get any more.[p]I am very glad to see Greg posting again. Do yourself a favor and order some of his product. As I recall, the shipping costs as much as the product but it is worth it.[p]Enjoy,
RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Hawaii Guava Wood[/ul]

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    It looks like shipping is included.
    Larry[p]Posted by guava wood on February 27, 2005 at 23:21:15:[p]In Reply to: Re: Aloha! posted by djm5x9 on February 25, 2005 at 18:54:49:[p]djm5x9,[p]Yep, it's good to be back. I had do get back when I had a new line to much more guava wood and now can pass that savings on. I saw one guy selling guava branches chopped up and bagged selling for $29 for 5lbs. Can you believe it? So I decided to sell ours for $15 gets you 10 lbs. shipping included priority mail. Nice solid chunks like the old days...[p]Greg [p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Wow! I musta slept through Greg's initial posting. I am delighted to find him "alive and well".[p]I can personally testify to the quality of Greg's guava, and to his integrity.[p]Look for an order, Greg.[p]Ken

• guavawood
    Options
    YB,[p]Thanks to USPS offering me a $7.70 flat rate box which just happens to hold 10lbs. of nicely fitted chunks...I can pass on the price that is much cheaper than 10 years ago.[p]Good to back! Good to see the old regulars and new regulars. Great![p]Greg
  • guavawood
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]thanks for the kind words, Michael.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    guava wood,
    It is hard to believe that it has been ten years already.
    I guess time flies when you’re smoking meat
    R&J[p]

• guavawood
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Yeah it does...but how does the time fly by when we're always slow cookin'? [p]
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Well, I'm a smoking wood rube and have only used hickory so far, but I'm ready to try a variety of different smoking woods. I grew up day dreaming of the Swiss Family Robinson adventure and I'm looking forward to trying some tropical guava smoking wood. Seems worth the money to try. Sending an order out tomorrow. What else can y'all tell me about it? (OK it was really a Gilligen's Island day dream. I had the hots for Ginger, but the tropical theme is still there).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Greg and I exchanged a couple emails today also plus my check is in the mail to him. This guava wood sounds great - my s/i/l who has been to HI every Easter for 30 years now has told me about kiawe wood, but I have since learned that kiawe is of the mesquite family and is readily interchangeable with domestic mesquite.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.