Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas for kabobs

Options
loxic
loxic Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on keeping Easter dinner pretty simple and have a cookout with the family. Thinking about doing kabobs, I generally do chicken and steak marinated in Gazebo Room Greek Dressing along with assorted vegetables such as peppers, onions. I am looking for some ideas for other marinades or meats that would be different. I may do fruit kabobs as a desert as well as the Chocolate Chip Kaluah Cake. I look forward to everyones input, you guys have yet to fail me. :)

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Change cultures and stay with a lamb meat.

Lamb, Leg, Boneless, Kabobs, South India-Style

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6-7 Lbs. Boneless or Butterflied Leg of Lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    1 1/2 cup canola oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    4 Tbs grated fresh ginger
    2 Tbs ground coriander*
    4 tsp ground cumin*
    1/8 tsp ground cinnamon*
    1/8 tsp ground cardamom*
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    Vegetable oil cooking spray
    2 small onions, cut into 6 wedges
    2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
    2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
    Twelve 12-inch skewers

Procedure:
    1 Combine the oil, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom in a large glass or ceramic dish. Sprinkle the lamb generously with salt and pepper and add the lamb to the marinade. Toss to coat, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and as long as 6 hours.
    2 Prepare a charcoal or gas grill. Lightly spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. The coals should be moderately hot to hot.
    3 Thread the lamb, onion wedges, and peppers onto skewers, beginning and ending with the meat. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning several times with tongs and brushing 2 or 3 times with any excess marinade during the first few minutes of grilling. Cook until lamb is medium-rare and the vegetables are tender. Serve immediately.
    4 * These ingredients (combined) can be replaced by about 4 tablespoons (approximately 1 tin) of Nirmala's Kitchen Guyanese Garam Masala.
    5 South India-Style Lamb Kabobs

Servings: 6

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Lobel's Culinary Club, 2006/08/01

Here is a marinade I like for lamb

Marinade, Lamb, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
    1/3 Cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 Cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 Pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Zaatar, (Optional)
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

Preparation:
    1 Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.
    2 This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.
    3 Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,
    4 If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.
    5 Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2001/05/25
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
  • loxic
    loxic Posts: 25
    Options
    Always amazed at how quickly people on the forum are willing share their knowledge. The lamb sounds great as well as the chicken. I love trying new foods from different cultures.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not exactly easter dinner fare, but these are always a hit.

Prepped800.jpg

Cooking800.jpg

Done800.jpg

Simply marinate a few hours, skewer, season, and grill. Good stuff.

Marinade:
    ¾ c Teriyaki Sauce
    2 Tbsp Sugar
    3 cloves finely chopped garlic
    1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
    ¼ cup crushed fresh pineapple
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 Tbsp EVOO
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Do you do fish kebobs? I made some swordfish a while ago, recipe from the Steven Raichlen book "How to Grill", "Swordfish Souvlaki" - but did them on a hibachi....

If you do chicken, try my ONO ONO chicken marinade, recipe is posted in the recipe section, but I can paste it here for your quick reference:

The Marinade, enough for 2 lbs of chicken parts

1/2 cup shoyu (soy sauce), I use Kikkoman low sodium

1/2 cup sugar

1 Tbs sherry (I use Japanese sake)

1 Tbs sesame oil

1 Tbs grated ginger root

3 cloves chopped garlic

Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk around until the sugar dissolves. Taste the marinade and adjust to your liking. I always add more garlic and ginger. (I add ginger until it makes my mouth tingle.)

Marinate the chicken parts overnight in a zip lock bag, or what-ever method you like.

Because of the oil and sugar in the marinade, it is best to use indirect grilling. Get the fire going, and when the temperature stabilizes at about 350 to 400, lay the chicken down.

Cook until done, internal temperature about 170 degrees.

I have not used any smoking wood chips when making this recipe, there’s tons of flavor from the marinade, and the gentle oak smoke from the Royal Oak lump does not over-power the flavors.

Aloha.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Chicken livers wrapped in bacon, fresh pineapple, red onion leaves, chicken or turkey chunks. All mixed on skewers, brushed with teriyaki glaze as it cooks.
    Here's a veg kabob sauce, using whatever fresh vegs you want. Use blender or processor for this sauce and brush on vegs while grilling.

3/4 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup chopped shallots
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
    1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Bacon wrapped scallops and pineapple chunks.Fidel's idea looks great too.Lamb kbobs,moink balls,Smoked 'Loney bites,Bacon/procuitto wrapped oysters,Spam and pineapple kbobs,save the veggies for a salad,or grill em and make a grilled side salad.Kbobs are unlimited,go wild! ;)
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    kabobs_foodfireblog-1030045-610x457.jpg

I did these chicken and beef ones last week. Kind of a Mediterranean-ish recipe with grilled veggies an fruit.

Grilled Beef and Chicken Kabobs

Beef Kabobs

1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into large cubes
    1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
    4 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1 teaspoon dried oregano (Turkish if you can get it)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt

Put the garlic and salt in a food processor and give it a spin until the garlic is minced. Add the parsley, rosemary, oregano, oil, and lemon juice. Process until well-mixed.

Put the steak in a zip-top bag and cover with the marinade. Toss to coat. Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal it, and put it in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours, overnight is better.

Chicken Kabobs

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into large cubes
    1 cup plain Greek yogurt (full fat)
    1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper (or 2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper plus 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried oregano (Turkish if you can get it)

In a small bowl, combine yogurt, Aleppo pepper, salt, black pepper, and oregano. Put the chicken in a zip-top bag and cover with the yogurt mixture. Toss to coat. Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal it, and put it in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours, overnight is better.

Set the grill up for a direct cook over very hot (500°F +) heat.

Remove the meat from their respective marinades and thread onto skewers (the flat ones work great as they keep the meat from spinning around). Grill the chicken about 6 minutes per side. Grill the beef for about 3 minutes per side. In both cases you’re looking for some crispy bits on the outside without overcooking the meat.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    This is fantastic stuff, FWIW
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Specially when it's had the chance to age :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON