Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Potato/Corn Go in the Cook?

Options
cocktails42
cocktails42 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,

I have a Large Egg and Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable rig.

I T-Rex'ed 4 bone-in ribeyes the other day along with grilled corn on the cob and baked potatoes in the egg. Well, the potatoes didn't make it to the egg.

It got confusing for me as to when I could get the 45 minutes or so I needed on the potatoes while taking time bringing the egg up to 700 degrees, sere the steaks, then get the temps down on the egg, so, in frustration, I put them in the oven at 400 while I did the sere and then lowered the egg temp. Wasn't happy about that.

I kept thinking, should I have a half grid on the rig so I could have the potatoes (and later the corn) up there in the back half of the egg maybe? If so, seems that I'd want to wait till the egg came down in temperature, so that takes precious time off the 45 minutes (or so) needed for the potatoes.

First off, I know what you're gonna say...."Get a second egg". heh. don't think I don't want to.

However.....how do you guys 'orchestrate' a cook like this?

Comments

• Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    I start with the potatoes after I have stabilized the egg at 400 deg. Add the corn at the appropriate time and when they are both cooked I pull them and put some foil on them. Open the vents and raise the temps to searing levels. Always much easier to raise the temps than lower it. Once your steaks are ready for the final heating add the taters and corn just to warm them up if needed.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I agree with Chef...about the only thing we use the oven for is to hold items cooked on the BGE. :) Leave the oven on 175-200 to keep items warm.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I know what you mean, sometimes it can be a challenge. I think Chief nailed it. One thing I have found is that baked potatoes wrapped in foil will stay hot a long time, and you can always throw them back on the egg.

You could also consider a reverse sear for the steaks. I did this the other day and it worked out well. I was only doing steak and bakers. I put on the bakers, then added the steaks about 45 minutes later. Took everything off when the steaks were at about 120. Wrapped everything in foil while the egg got blazin. Threw the steaks back on for about 2 min per side.

The only problem with the reverse sear is the steaks can be hard to flip (tend to start falling apart).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    Gotta go with Chef on this one.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'd go with Chief on this one. Wrap in foil and throw in your oven to hold as low as it will go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use a spider and CI grid to grill my steaks. Now because I grill down low I only have to get the dome temp to 400F. If you think about it the CI grid is on top the burning lump somewhere around 900F to 1200F.

Soooo First thing I do is light the egg and put the spider and CI grid in place. I then place the AR in with a grid on top and a broken pampered chef on the grid. While I work on bringing the dome to 400F I put the spuds on and continue to stabilize and bake. In time the egg will stabilize for you and your potato is done at 210F using your thermapen. Now the potato is cooked so pull the AR and set somewhere safe and begin your steak cook by searing then rest for 20 min's or so and then put the AR back in and roast the steak till you have reached your desired IT. ;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The only way I have done steaks for the past few years is the "hot tub" method. The steaks are wrapped tight in a plastic pouch, which sits in hot water long enough for the internal temperature of the steaks to come up to 115 - 120 F. This takes between 45 min and an hour.

So I start the Egg, and let it go to 300 - 350, put on the 'taters, etc. After awhile I "tub" the steaks. When the sides are done, I ramp the Egg up. Only takes a few minutes. Then it only takes 3 - 4 minutes more to do the sear.
  • cocktails42
    Options
    GREAT replies, everyone.

Thank you very much.

Chef, I'll do as you said.

SmokeyPitt, I've never done the reverse sere. That is a good option for me too. I could try that and see how I like it sometime.

2Fategghead, I think I'd like to eventually get the half grid and half stone from Ceramic grill store.

I have the spider but i have a 13" CI grid on back order with my Egg dealer.

gdenby, eventually I want to do the hot tub thing. I don't have a hot tub, but I've read about the other ways to approach it.

All in all, awesome replies everyone. Thank you for your advice, it all makes sense and I cant wait to try it all. heh.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "hot tub" is just shorthand for "put it in a bucket of hot water." Just run the tap (most home water heaters will put out water from 110 to 180 F, so set the heater for about 120) and fill a pot. I use the one I usually do pasta in. Refresh the water as it cools. Ad rub to the steak if desired.