Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JB Weld question

Options
wattwizz
wattwizz Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large with a crack in the fire box and a crack in the fire ring. I saw a post with photos showing these repaired with JB Weld. Looked up JB Weld and saw that this product is only good up to 500*.Any thoughts? Also, I've heard that there might be a guarantee?
Thanks for any help.

G

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    The warranty is for the original owner which hopefully you are. I have used the JB Weld so far on the firebox, plate setter, DFMT and to repair a chip on the lip of the base and all have held so far.
  • wattwizz
    wattwizz Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks Pat. I am the original owner but I bought it when the company first opened. That has to be what 20 25 years ago.

G
  • Methos
    Methos Posts: 6
    Options

Update on JB Weld - I cracked the plate setter on my XL.  I had a hairline crack for months and then I somehow dropped the plate setter about a quarter inch into the egg. Dang! Cracked cleanly in to two pieces.  This was a day when I was doing two tri tips an a mountain of beef ribs for friends. I put the pieces in place as best I could and did the mutli hour cook.  All good, none of the food was left at the end of the day.  ...but I digress...

Anyway, I used JB Weld the next day, let it sit for a day and put it back in place.  No problems! Wonderful! It's been in use for months with numerous cooks and no problems.  Much better than spending 110 bucks + tax.

• BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Options
    I repaired cracks in an older BGE (before they started making the ceramic kind) and have heated it to about 450 degrees with no problem.  Going beyond the 500 degrees called for on the JB Weld package might not work too well so I have avoided doing that so far.
    Fayetteville, Ga