Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oklahoma idea: "last cook"

Options
Tweety
Tweety Posts: 455
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We all know how great our "egg" food is and we all love to cook and share it. So why not share it with some who have nothing else to eat?

Clay, Bryce and I are donating our "last cook" of the day to the City Rescue Mission in OKC. I'm bringing some side dishes also that will already be prepared (to go with what we cook). Of course we'll still have samples of our last cook for the guests of the eggfest, but the majority of our last cook will be for the shelter.

We will also have a box by our table if you'd like to bring some canned food or personal toiletries that the homeless could use on the street.

I've talked to Chris and Scott (from Everything BBQ) and they both said this was alright to do. But please note this IS NOT something sponsored by Everything BBQ. This is something that Clay, Bryce and I are going to do in every city that we attend an eggfest. There is such a great need, and we'd love anything you'd like to do to help!

The City Rescue Mission will come to pick up the food and donations Saturday afternoon.

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Tammie,

That is a wonderful, altruistic idea you have there. But, you might run into the same situation I did after Hurricane Katrina.

Thousands of refugees from New Orleans came to Houston after the storm. I made up several batches of Shrimp gumbo and took it to one of the shelters. I fed several people before getting run off. They ran me off for two reasons. I didn't have permission from the Health Department, and also the people at the church that was sheltering them were concerned with liability (in case I was trying to poison them, I guess).

Anyway, check it out before going to a lot of trouble.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Tweety
    Options
    I already spoke with the Director of food services at the shelter. He is aware of who we are and has attended the OKC fest many times. Ironic huh?

You're right, we do have to be careful, but since he was aware of this group already, he said he could allow it.

Never ceases to amaze me, how we can find "eggheads" everywhere we go. If he had not been to the eggfest and understood who we were, we would not have been allowed to help out with fresh cooked food.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    That's why you two are on the Texas PSA ...Plano, Salado, Athens...Iron Chef team. You are special and think out of the box. ;)
  • Tweety
    Options
    Looking forward to being on your team! We're gonna have too much fun. ;)

Let me know if you'd like to contribute.