Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

learned a trick today - caramelizing onions

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seldom eat lunch out anymore, but today I did. The place I ate at serves a wonderful bleu cheese topped burger further topped with caramelized grilled onions. While I serve most all my burgers at home with grilled onions these are just a little bit better. So when I left I saw the lady cook and flat out ask her if there was a secret that she wouldn't mind sharing. After the usual comment followed by "then I'd have to kill you"...she said it's merely adding a small jolt of Worcestershire sauce and that adds the twist of favor and color. Just thought I'd share.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Yea thanks. I need all the help i can get :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a method I like to do with little cipolini onions. Skin, leave whole, sprinkle with Italian Salad Dressing and roast on the BGE or oven 350F until soft, 45 minutes or so.
    Then if there are any left over, place in a jar and cover with balsamic vinegar and leave on counter for future snacks. Great with crackers and cheese.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/roasted-cipolini-onions/
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I will give that a try! Thanks :)
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    good to know thanks
  • In a similar vein, I like to add a few shakes of red wine vinegar into the pan after the onions have begun to brown.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    It is a nice little addition. I use Lea & Perrins Worcestershire or a decent quality Balsamic Vinegar (stopped buying the cheap stuff) and cook them not too fast, until carmelized.
    It's nice to share!
  • I do that on mushrooms....Now I'll do it on onions too!!
  • RRP
    hmmm - good idea - our secret with mushrooms is using a chicken bouillon cube in the liquid!
  • That sounds good!

For mushrooms, my twist is to sauté them until their just shy of burnt in butter and then hit them with a good splash of very dry sherry.

Cheers,

Joe
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Good idea...who ever has 1/2 cup of chicken broth just lying around? Actually, I keep a jar of Chicken Stock Base, forget what brand, in the refrigerator and use a little in hot water for that substitute. I don't even remember how many years I've had it, but it still works, and I can make as much or as little as I need.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Try 1/2 cup of beer, the sugars help to caramelize them
  • Hey 007!

Not sure if your post was aimed at my response, but here goes, anyway.

I love cooking with beer, but sherry, shallots and garlic are a match made in heaven. Image a mushroom gravy that is downright addictive by the same method:

Sauté a pound or two of fresh mushrooms and hit them with a heavy-handed splash of sherry then add beef stock. Simmer to reduce as long as time allows. Add a chilled slurry of cornstarch and stock to desired thickness/consistency.

My kids love it on hand-mashed Yukon gold potatoes with cream and butter.

Joe
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hey, Judy - ever try freezing stock in ice cube trays? Maybe after they freeze, pop 'em into a vac bag and use as needed. I haven't tried it, but I keep meaning too. Seems like it ought to work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    psssst...Judy...please reread my post - I said I add 1 bouillon cube which means I cheat by using a Wyler's brand cube. That tiny thing (1/2" cubed) that stays in the jar with the others in my cupboard has a shelf life of a couple years. Perhaps using them is scoffed at by some people, but what I like for the occasional use for chicken broth is the taste consistency. BTW 1 tiny cube equals 1 cup of broth.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Try adding about tablespoons of sherry just before you are ready to pull off the onions, um, um good :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Judy Mayberry
    Your bouillon cube was indeed noted, and I have the refrigerated equivalent in the jar of soup base. You know what would be a great product? A tube of concentrated chicken broth for those occasional uses, like the tubes of tomato paste that are so convenient for a spoonful or two instead of opening a can of the stuff. Possibly the moist paste has more flavor in it than the dried cube, I don't know. The base I use is a stiff paste and very flavorful when I add hot water.
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    Judy - me thinks we agree on the concept that some little short cut that provides the zing we want to taste or whatever is OK.

INSIDE MESSAGE...the husband/wife and 2 kids got transferred back on an extremely short notice of like 2 weeks so we have PEACE for at least a year!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Hooraaaaaay!!!!!! I shall celebrate all weekend for you in Melbourne. The first beer's for you!
    Judy in San Diego