Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a 6.5 lb brisket for the super bowl at 250 dome temp, the meet started out reading 45 on the polder and with in 1.5 hours it is reading 120 on the polder I estimated 10 hours cooking time. Will them meat temp. level off should this be a concern. I was just a little concerned when I saw how high the meat temp. went in an hour and a half. Thank you in advance for your advice

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Kevin in Atlanta,
    Are you cooking indirect? If not, that could explain your fast temp in brisket.

• Clay Q,
    Yes, indirect foil wrapped inverted plate setter

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Kevin in Atlanta,[p]It will get to 120-140 quicker than you think it would.That sounds a little high for that short of time, maybe not though. A polder can read high if it's placed in a bad spot. I did a brisket last night. My Maverick read 200 at 3:00 this morning, but the Guru read 160-170. I figure a thermometer can read high if it's not placed in a good spot, but it can't read low, unless it's bad. It was a 14 pound packer and had only been on 11 hours, so I went with the Guru temp. Don't know if the Maverick probe is bad or it was just bad probe placement though. Hit 195 at 8:00. Finished much sooner than I expected.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Kevin in Atlanta,
    It will slow down bigtime when you get up near 150. You might consider taking your polder out of the meat, and getting a couple readings of your cooking level temp, just to make sure you are on the 215-230 range so you don't push the brisket through the plateau. It will at least give you peace of mind that you aren't cooking too hot. Then you can stick it back in the meat and go.
    Enjoy!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the help