Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering a BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I enjoy this forum so much and because of it will purchase a BGE before long...I have a question in regarding starting the charcoal.. Whats the best way... Now I have a large smoker on a trailer and sometimes I use a weed burner (propane) I also have the weber chiminey and it works well for charcoal..The little starter cubes do they work ok? Has anyone ever put a small propane burner in the bottom of the egg to replace the charcoal etc.
Thanks
Lindsey Webb

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,
    welcome aboard.. . you won't be sorry you came!!![p]for starting, some folks like starter cubes, some like the green heat jell. .. .a lot of us like using MAPP torch (a complete kits runs around 40 bucks at home depot). ..mapp is great for starting lump charcoal quickly and easily (less than a couple of minutes to get it going). .. [p]so don't tarry, run out and get that egg so you can be cookin for the superbowl :)

• The Virginian
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,
    Your weed burner should work just fine to start the charcoal. You may want to wear some form of eye protection, though, as lump (especially damp lump) can throw off sparks. Nature Boy caught on right next to his eye week before last. I went right out and got some protective glasses from home depot. (We were both using mapp torches, which burns hotter than propane). [p]Brett

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,
    that 'propane burner to replace charcoal' notion is blasphemy! i shan't even honor it with a second more![p]now that i've calmed down...[p]sure, your propane weed burner would work, or a MAAP torch, but you'll get a ton of sparks, so don't wear your sunday best.[p]i used to buy the atrter cubes, and those match-stick things, but i p!ss right through them, and they aren't cheap. then i realized those fireplace logs are the same thing, sawdust and paraffin wax (or somethin), so instead of half a pound of starter cubes for 5 bucks, i get a 5 pound log for two bucks and it tears right apart into chunks. they are rougher chunks, too, and easier to start.[p]you could do the starter chimney, too.[p]i tend to light it, though, and put the grill on, daisy wheel etc., and just walk away. the fire is contained, and it won't burn out of control if you just set your dampers a little bit back from 'thermonuclear' settings.[p]in a pinch, 3 sheets of newspaper under the lump will do it too.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,
    The starters work well but the Green Heat gel seems to last a loooooong time. That's what I use.
    Welcome aboard...by the way I've got a small trailer with a couple stick burners mounted on it as well.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Lindsey Webb, welcome! I think more of us use mapp gas than anything to start the lump. If you move the flame around it will reduce sparking considerably.You might want to attend one of the Eggfests wher you can get e great deal on an egg, plus learn a lot. Where are you located ?

• tn slagamater,
    Yes I would enjoy a eggfest very much...Im located In
    Abernathy Tx... Just North of Lubbock On I-27

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Lindsey Webb, there is a Texas Eggfest coming up in May I think.Lake Travis, near Austin. Greillmeister will post more details for you, I hope. You will have a blast !

• BucsFanJim,
    Yes the stick burner works well also.. I suppose there are a lot of starters folks can use to get the charcoal a goin.. being a fire fighter for 28 years safety is of upmost concern. especially their eyes.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Virginian,
    so, how was the london broil???

• stike,
    I had a friend that installed a propane burner under a weber. I worked ok but all the trouble to mess with..not worth it.. thanks for your help...Im just gonna have to get that BGE in a few days.
    Lindsey

• The Virginian,
    Yes you are right.. Well when I mention propane Im just comfortable with it.. was In the business parttime for 22 years messing with that stuff.
    Mapp...ill check at home depot etc.
    Thanks for your help
    Lindsey

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Ill have to look into the Mapp gas...never used it..
    well it will be after the super bowl before I get it.
    This forum is going to be a blast... It will take me a while to learn how to get around but ill make it.
    Thanks for you help
    Lindsey

• The Virginian
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Very tasty and done just the way we like it. Pulled it at about 130 degrees. Thanks for the coaching. Grilling is not really my thing. [p]Brett[p]

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,[p]Lucky for you I saved this ppst from a while back. Nuttin like free fire starter..but you jus gotta be lucky like me to have access to it....[p]
    I couldn't find any fire starters in my neck of the woods. What I ended up doing may not work for everybody...[p]One night we was all out on the front porch, momma with her 2 dollah cigar and shiny spitoon, poppa with his corn cob pipe, gramma with her giant knitting
    needles (gramma was knittin me a sweater, I had saved up about a years worth of belly button lint..most folks can get enough lint for a sweater in bout 6 months,
    but since we didn't wear shirts all that much..took us bout a year..that means we each got a new sweater every year..and if'n you timed it right, that sweater would
    be ready just in time for the cold months..momma said was a good thing gramma can knit, cause the mercantile don't sell sweaters with such big ol head holes like
    we'd need, gramma almost never complained, even with her severe arthritis..only time I hear her complain is when it was time to knit Beulahs sweater. I think
    there was 2 reasons she complained, one was the size of the sweater itself...Beulah is one big thing..when you go huntin with her, you always worried there'd be
    sasquatch sightins and you'd be running for your life..and the second reason is because that lint smelled somethin awful..gramma swears Beulah sleeps with her
    nasty ol smelly big toe tucked into her belly button. We was all afraid to go in and check on Beulah at night and see, so we took grammas word on that one).[p]So we were out there sitting on the porch listinen to some ol Woody Guthrie tunes..grammas knittin, and mommas spittin, keeping in tune..when I looked over to
    see that momma was slowly startin to nod off..tonight was greasy crusty cheeseburger night and momma was a washing that down with her shine like you read
    about...so was no wonder she was a bit tired. I must looked over just at the right moment, cause mommas giant cranium had nodded down and her cigar, at this
    point quite moist at one end, and flaming red at the other, had touched her whiskers and started a small fire rather quickly. I had to think fast and unfortunately for
    momma, only thing I could think to do was splash that spitoon water on her to put the flames out. It worked like you read about, but momma was not too happy,
    though grampa and poppa sure did some serious guffaw belly laughin at that.[p]Anyway, after seein how fast that there beard of mommas caught fire, I got to thinkin maybe I could use it to start the egg. The only way this would work is if I
    was to get some of that beard the same night we had the cheeseburgers again..poppa says all things happen for a reason, and I suppose I dun found the reason
    momma drooled so much when she ate. Next time we had them greasy cheeseburgers, I waited for momma to fall asleep and crept into mommas room (this is the
    night I came up with more names to call poppa..Sir SnoresAlot..and Cap'n ButtTrumpet..was all I could do to not laugh..but I suppose with the noise that was
    already in that room, a little laughin woulda gone unnoticed)I crept over to momma and snipped off as much of her beard as I dared take (not wantin momma to
    notice in the morning and get suspicious). I used that there beard trimmins to light the egg the next night, and it sure did work like a champ, best darn fire started
    I've ever used, It burns hot and fast, and gets that lump caught like you read about. I am a bit worried that mommas face could be such a fire hazard, but I figured
    since I'd be sneakin in there periodically to trim it, maybe I'm doing her a service. I asked grampa bout this, and he said I'm prolly doin poppa a service to, as
    mommas beard could prolly tickle at times...grampa sure did laugh at that.[p]Now I keep this ol wooden box of mommas beard trimmins under my bed, it seems to work and it's a free endless supply. I know not everybody is as lucky as I
    am, and some folks gotta go buy their firestarter..but if'n you can do what I do, you surely won't be sorry.[p]StumpBaby[p]

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,
    I was referring to the offset smokers on my trailer as "stick burners" Wasn't inferring that they were a way that I light my Egg.
    Sorry for the confusion.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,
    One Weber starter cube in the ash-pit under the charcoal works like a charm every time. In ten minutes, a perfect fire. Welcome aboard, and GO GET THAT EGG!
    Cheers,
    G.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Lindsey Webb,
    Also, check out the golf club from The BBQ Guru folks (link below). You can use it to light your lump, stir your lump, clean your grid, hold your grid and there's one more thing on the list I forget. You get less sparking with the golf club because the flame is spread out more, although you still have to be careful. The idea with the club, also, is to put the flame down in the charcoal so that there are less sparks the fly up. You can also use it with propane, but in cold weather you need to warm the bottle of propane by dipping it in warm water. Good luck and welcome![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz