Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Question

Options
Cagey
Cagey Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This evening, I was cooking some meatloaf on the egg and I discovered something slightly strange. When I went to the FL mini-fest last year before I purchased my egg, it was suggested to put a small piece of cork (1/4 to 3/4 inch) on my egg thermometer to allow it to float in the egg, and to prevent it from coming in contact with any food inside.

This evening, I was trying out my new Maverick ET-732. I mounted the grill thermometer on the grid next to the meat. The grid was on the top of my adjustable rig. The Maverick thermometer read 40 degrees hotter than the egg thermometer with the cork attached. When I removed the cork, and allowed the egg thermometer to fully descend into the egg, it read the same temperature as the Maverick.

I am confused as to why I got the different temperature readings. I always thought it was hotter higher up in the dome of the egg. It might explain why I found that I needed to run my cooking temperatures slightly lower than what was suggested here on this site.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    if you're using the stock bge thermo, you don't want or need a cork. It doesn't let enough of the probe into the dome. If you're using the Tel-Tru which has a longer probe, an inch long cork should do it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

With a "calibrated" dome thermometer the dome temperature will be hotter than the temperature reading at the grid. If the grid probe is too close to the food it will also read low which will put a further delta between the grid and dome.

With the BGE dome thermometer the only time I have to be careful with the probe touching the meat is if I am doing a 23# or larger turkey. A vertical chicken cook may need some adjustment.

With the original spring clip on the underside of the BGE thermometer if one turns the thermometer and the clip is tight it will sometimes change the calibration. Using a cork, wooden toy wheel or just leaving the clip off helps prevent the friction on the adjustment nut.

Clip the maverick probe on the end of the BGE thermometer just above the indent on the BGE probe. Your temperatures should read somewhat close, if that is what you want to achieve.

GG
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't know why it happens, but yes if you add a cork to the BGE stock dome thermometer you experience this, even if your thermometer is calibrated. 1st time I experienced this I thought I was off calibration so I pulled the thermometer and checked it in a pot of boiling water and it was fine.

Of course as GG stated, the only time I use a cork is when doing a Mad Max Turkey on my LGBE.

Whenever you are using a cork, just trust your mavrick. That is what I do with my Digi Q, just ignore the dome thermometer in those cases.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    Yes, the BGE thermometer was/is calibrated. The Maverick checked out when I did a boiling water test on it. Though I am not sure if this is the best test after reading the ThermoPen instructions.

Thanks for the responses. I will have to try cooking the things we enjoy with the thermometer fully inserted into the egg, and see how things turn out. Have a great day.
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Probably unrelated to your issue, but the pit temp on my ET-732 is really messed up. It is fairly accurate at high temps like 400+, but around 50 degrees off at 250-ish. My BGE thermo, Thermapen and my old Maverick all agree, so I know it's the new unit.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    That is correct. Moving the thermometer out one inch will change the temperature 30-50 degrees.