Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs

Options
Hot Coals
Hot Coals Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will they be better if I double wrap in foil, and then towels and hold in heated ice chest an hour or two after
cooking or cook them tender and serve? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    i never wrap my ribs, i cook them until they are tender and then i sauce them up a bit. it all depends on how you like them, wrapping them with foil and adding liquid will make them more of a fall of the bone rib, so they say. i like to have the meat on my bones, if you cook them up right they will be super tender and melt in your mouth!! ;) Goodluck and post your results with pictures!!! :):) I also trim mine to st.louis style!! I remove the rib tips and cook them serperate
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Your question will get differences of opinion I am sure. I try and serve ribs shortly after they come off of the grill...however I have found that ribs like pork butts do hold up well if wrapped in HDAF and then in towels and placed in an ice chest for a few hours..
  • Hot Coals
    Options
    Thanks this is my 1st. attempt at ribs on BGE
  • Hot Coals
    Options
    Thanks, just wondering feeding the in-laws Sunday
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    well good luck!! Spares are the way to go :cheer: Just dont over cook them, you will know when they are done when you pick them up and they almost bend in half!! :):) SOunds like your going to be eating good!! :cheer:
  • Helluva Engineer
    Options
    I have used the 3-1-1 method with great success. This involves 3 hours unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, and then 1 final hour unwrapped to firm the ribs back up. See my detailed post below:

3-1-1 Spare Ribs
  • Hot Coals
    Options
    Thanks for the tips
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Being a fan of dry ribs, w. sauce on the side, I try to serve as soon as possible out of the Egg, to preserve the slight crunchiness that a good layer of rub produces. However, if you need to hold the ribs, the method you outlined will work pretty well. The only downside, from a purist point of view, is that the ribs, sitting in their own steam, might get overly tender.
  • Hot Coals
    Options
    Thanks,Won't have to wait they will be waiting on me to finish more than likely
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like them served right away but have had commercially prepared ribs come out of the cooler, what the did is unwrap them and slide them onto a very hot grill and baste with a watery sauce to firm them up and crisp them a little, about 10 minutes to finish them up on the hot grill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hot Coals, Here is a spare rib cook I did last year. Here is the link and the response I got from my cook. Tim ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=803528&catid=1

I'm having a few dinner guests over today and it's been a while since I smoked some spare ribs.

I got a three pack for $1.59 a pound. My butcher told me they are going up but he gave me a good deal.

000_1570.jpg

000_1572.jpg

Now I need to trim them up.

000_1574.jpg

I wanted to check to see if they would all fit on one grate.

000_1575.jpg

I'll cook some of these trimmings and i'll grind the rest up for another day.

000_1576.jpg

I've got two layers with mustard and home made rub.

000_1578.jpg

I have the egg setup indirect and 240° at the grate it's about 250° at the dome. I have the trimmings on the lower level. I started this cook at 6:30 am and I hope to pull them off at least by 2:pm.

000_1577.jpg

Dan, I lightly rubbed them then I lightly slathered mustard all over them then I laid on the rub kinda heavy. :P

Here is a pic 1.5 hours into the cook. The rub hasn't set yet.

000_1583.jpg

Here is 4 hours into the cook. The rub has set and I lowered the pit temp a little.

000_1587.jpg

My lower grate is cooking a little faster. I already have been nibbling here and there. Is ya drooling yet? :P

000_1586.jpg

Like Paul Harvey used to say "And now the rest of the story"

Are ribs turned out great! Lip smacking good! Are dinner guests brought a friend that had never been here before and he told me they were the best ribs he ever had. My head got so big I couldn't walk through the doorway. :lol:

Yesterday I asked for some help with this cook so I want to tell all who chimed in thank you. This was not my first spare rib cook but it was my best thus far.

Enjoy the finish pic's.

000_1588.jpg

000_1590.jpg

000_1591.jpg

000_1592.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    That sounds good Fish. If a party had to eat at a certain time you can factor in a slightly early cook time because some ribs may take longer or get done sooner. I know the spares I get and the way I trim my ribs come off as soon as 5 hours yet some here claim theirs go 6 or 7 hours. :)
  • Hot Coals
    Options
    Thanks Tim I have never trim mine before, still learning
    going to try trimming them. Hope they turn out okay.
  • Hot Coals
    Options
    Tim, Thanks that explained alot. Don't look all that difficult. :laugh: Have a great evening
  • GreenLeafBBQ
    Options
    Cook them tender and serve. You risk the meat falling off of the bone as you slice if you over-steam the rack. Keep the rack moist through the cook, layer on some sauce if that is your thing toward the end.

4657244577_260f26ffd2_m.jpg