Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky

David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you make Beef Jerky on the BGE???? My son LOVES it! Any help is appreciated.
Thank You
David

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    David,[p]This link has a lot of good beef jerky info. This is the recipe I use and am happy with it. As far a technique goes, I am still experimenting. I have a homemade jerky rack designed by Eggor (plans at http://wessb.com ). I have been using the cheap-o screens from Wal-mart lately and had some succes. I am sure others will have ideas. I haven't tried the way Car Wash Mike does it. I haven't acheived the exact jerky I have wanted yet, but it has always disappears.
    [ul][li]Kevi's Jerky Page[/ul]
  • David,[p]I use a varied recipe of my own using River City Beef Jerky on the recipe section as a base.[p]I marinate overnight, cook indirect at 175-200, really try to stay under he 200. Too much wood will give a bitter taste. Using to much maple syrup or brown sugar will make it cook quicker or it will burn.[p]Beef Jerky is one of my favorite cooks. I like to use rump roast but Borders suggested eye of round roast. That is what I'm going to try next.[p]BeefJerky1.jpg[p]bcece82c.jpg[p]HTH
    CWM

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Steve-B,[p]looks like wess's site is down so i emailed david the pdf. anyone now how to post a pdf? and i haven't heard much from wess, is he still around?[p]Scott

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I love to use top round, but the price is normally too high. I have been buying select grade lately and it is better for jerky anyway. There is almost no inter-muscelal fat (aka marbling) which is perfect for jerky. I also like the price of $1.29-1.49 / lb. [p]Steve-B
  • Steve-B,
    Never tried top round thanks for the heads up.[p]CWM

• David,[p]I like to use London Broil and buy it when it is on sale. Similar,
    lean cuts of beef will also work. I like the Hot and Spicey
    recipe from Randy's site and have made it several times.[p]Here is a link http://www.randyq.addr.com/[p]Scroll down and hit the link to the jerky section.[p]K_sqrd

[ul][li]Randy's site[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    eggor,[p]Ya can't actually post a PDF because it's a file BUT ya can post a link to the file. Here it is on my site:[p]Jerky Rack[p]How did Suz do in surgery? Been thinking about you two today.
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Pakak,[p]she did great, took a little while to shake off the anasthesia, but she's up and walkin and the pain isn't bad. pretty amazing. 10 years ago, she was off work for a month for the same procedure, today they tell her they mant her to walk at least a mile tomorrow, maybe 50 ft at a time but still pretty impressive.[p]Scott

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    David,
    I started using top round and one of the High Mountain kits then just started playing with different recipies from here and elsewhere. Pretty simple to make, but prepping top round is a bit tedious so I'm going to try the eye round or rump roast cuts others have been using. Keep the temp under 200.

• David,
    I do jerky often and the family loves it too. I mostly follow the guidelines learned here and posted by the folks below. We're a fan of Little Chief & River City (one hot & one mild). On trick I learned to keep the temp around 160 to 170. It's sometimes tough, but if you use previously burned coal from other cooks that will get you there. I usually save the once/twice burned coal (when I clean out the egg or re-load it) in a bag and use that for jerky. A trick I learned here too - not sure who to credit, but kudos to someone for it. Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    katman,
    ive been using bottom round, its shape and no internal fat makes it easier to slice, but if you over cook its tough and hard chew

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • David
    David Posts: 97
    Steve-B,[p]Thanks to all for advice - I'm givin' it a go this weekend!

• Steve-B,
    Where the pics?
    Woogie