Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sides for the Q

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing a good sized cook next weekend for about 10 people. Pulled pork, brisket and ribs. Clueless on the sides. I'm going to make a jicama slaw other than that, no clue. Any suggestions (and recipes?)

Comments

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    goldencoop,[p]baby lima beans seasoned with a smoked ham hock (salt & pepper to taste, takes a bit), or[p]fresh green beans w/a little diced onion seasoned with a smoked ham hock (salt & pepper to taste, takes a little) You can toss in a few tators too, or[p]Baked acorn, buttercup or hubbard squash. Cut it half, scoop seeds, thick coat of butter and dark brown sugar. Bake face up until tender or [p]Steamed cabbage seasoned with, yes, a smoked ham hock or[p]Peas. Not garden peas. Crowder or Dixie Lee, seasoned with smoked ham hock or[p]Corn. Fixed any way you can.[p]Yeah, it's country. You can use country ham or bacon instead of smoked ham hocks, of course, you can use smoked pork knuckles, instead of ham hocks if you're poor like me.
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    goldencoop, I use this recipe with great sucess. Awards at a few local contest in KC to include the American Royal. Additionally a bbq resturant in Iowa and one in Georgia use it. [p][p]Rick’s Blue Ribbon Barbeque Pit Beans[p]
     Two 28 oz. & one 15 ½ oz cans of Bushs original baked beans
     1 12 to16 ounce bottle barbeque sauce ( I use KC Masterpiece)
     ½ onion, finely diced
     ½ green pepper, finely diced
     2 celery stalks, finely diced
     8 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
     About ½ to 1 pound brown sugar (or what ever it takes to adequately cover)
     2 tablespoons powered hickory seasoning (or bbq rub)
     2 tablespoon celery seed
     1 to 2 pounds of smoked pork or brisket (preferably brisket)
     1 aluminum half steam pan (roughly a 9x13)[p]_____________________________________________________________[p]
    Put all the above ingredients in the pan. Mix well. Cover with brown sugar, about ½ to 1 inch thick and do not stir in the brown sugar. Put in smoker for about two to three hours at 200 to 225 degrees, I use hickory wood. Let the brown sugar melt down into the beans. Stirring it in is not necessary.[p]Can be done in the oven.[p]Use one of the big industrial cans (#10) for two half-steam pans.[p]Rick[p][p][p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Rick:[p]Thanks for dropping that little nugget here . . .

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    gumbo002.jpg
    <p />djm5x9,[p]Did you ever try the Gumbo yet?[p]
    Rick

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Rick:[p]Unfortunately, not yet. That recipe is making its way up the pile. However, if you keep posting that picture it will rise to the top faster than The Princess thinks!
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Salmon, post that recipe (I looked and did not find it) and I'll make it and invite djm5x9 over to sample some.

• Salmon,[p]Thanks!!! Looks amazing.
  • Traditional sides for bbq include some sort of homemade baked beans or doctored canned beans (Salmon's recipe looks good), slaw (your jicama slaw is a nice twist), and cornbread.[p]Lee