Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

Jumping Joe
Jumping Joe Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about getting some of the Caputo "oo" Pizzeria Flour and was wondering if you can freeze the some dough balls for later use. I have a FoodSaver to vacuum seal them.

If this can be done is the quality close to fresh dough? All we have done in the past is use Flieshman's Quick Pizza yeast reciepe and they turn out really good but it would be nice to be able to just thaw one or two out for quick cooks. Also it appears that the Caputo flour is a much better than just all purpose flour.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Yes you can freeze pizza dough for later use. Just make sure to pull them out early enough for a good thaw. Caputo is a good flour but before you go "all in" with it, try a 1/2 Caputo and 1/2 AP. See how you like that then go with all Caputo the next time. Figure out which one you like more. I use a 1/2 Caputo and 1/2 Bread flour mix.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I have not done it, but I have heard of people doing it and you can buy frozen bread dough, so I do not see why not.

I suggest you form the dough balls and put them on a piece of wax paper and freeze them that way for a couple of hours and then put them in the vacuum seal bags.
  • Great idea on freezing first before putting them in the FoodSaver....I'm sure they would get the life sucked out of them if they were in a soft state .
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Do you freeze it before you raise it? Will it rise after has been frozen? I'm going to try and make a crust in my bread machine,and one in the stand mixer.Which ever one does best I will use in the future.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    You're fine with freezing them.

Last weekend, Fred gave me the opportunity to attend a 2-student master pizza making class he gave in the kitchen at his store.

This was based on Fred's pizza experiments, coupled with what he learned at Tony Gemignani's International School of Pizza. (youtube Tony G., very cool stuff!).

In that class, and what I've been doing at home (per Fred's suggestion), is to use as 50/50 mix of Antimo Caputo 00 and King Arthur Sir Lancelot. In place of KA Sir Laneclot, you can also use Caputo Rinforzato 00.

Just another thought on the flour combinations!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I wouldn't recommend this. The dough balls will get a tough, dry skin on them unless you oil the dough ball.

No need to vacuum seal, just put them in standard ziptop bags with as much air removed as you can manually remove. If you want to store long term then you can freeze them in the ziptop bags then vac seal the next day.

It doesn't matter if the dough ball doesn't maintain its ball shape. After it thaws you can shape it back into a ball, then let it rise. Works like a charm.
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Great point!

On the recent batch I froze; I oiled, then wrapped in plastic wrap (getting air out as best possible), and then put the balls inside a ziplock freezer.

The few that have been used ths far are great...and without the dreaded skin.

Fidel is also correct on the shape...as mine froze almost in a ciabatta shape, but can be reformed.
  • Got it. Thanks Ya'll....I'm going to order some flour today.
  • Ok so 10 lbs. of flour is going to cost $16....no problem. Shipping is more than the flour. Ouch. Might have to see if i can find locally in Memphis. Does Whole Foods carry Caputo flour?