Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Pork Butts On...Anyone else?

Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife hinted on the fact that we are ‘low’ on vacuum packs of pulled pork in the freezer, so I was given the task of doing a few Butts. Oh yeah….Twist my arm there! I've won them over on pulled pork.

Anyone else doing any overnighters???

2 Pork Butts (approx. 7.5# each)
Fab 'Free' mixed with Apple Juice and overnight to thicken before injection.

Injected with the Fab Free, attempted to massage the butts (ha!) every 2 hours. 15 hours in fridge after injection.

Slathered in yellow mustard; then rubbed with my latest homemade rub, which I really like on the ‘dry’ taste test.

On the Egg....at 250. This is the first time I’m putting liquid in the drip tray under the butts. Not sure if there is a difference from reading a bit.

One the Egg at 11:00pm….again, without a Guru. I’ve had dome temp stable now for 1.5 hrs., so I should be fine through the morning. I'll be up for a while yet though. Fingers crossed!
IMG_2896.jpg
These Butts from Sam's had a 'different' shape to them??? More 'square' than all the others I've bought. Any thoughts?

Injected in the cryovac package.
IMG_2900.jpg
IMG_2904.jpg
IMG_2906.jpg

Comments

• You have some nice looking Butt there! :ohmy: Post some done pic's
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Fornia
    Will do!

Yeah....the package is different than the ones we've got there in the last year+. Says 'no' processing. But for 7.5#ers, they had a different shape to them.

Maybe it's nothing.....but hopefully it's better! :woohoo:
  • Fornia
    Update from 12:45am. 1 hr. 45 min. into the cook.
    IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    My 'tend the Egg' snack.... :whistle::blush: :evil:
    IMG_2907.jpg
    Finally....cocktail by the bunny.
    IMG_2910.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Jason, There is a new pig butcher here and I ordered a whole shoulder for next Friday. It should go around 20 some pounds. I hope anyway. I think he said $1.69 per pound. I can't wait for that cook. It makes some great pulled pork with all the muscle groups. :P I love pulling it after the rest and sampling the meat. :P :P :P
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I think thats a first. Bazooks as a side dish. I like it! They really do look thick and square. They look good. Will have to show off the prize when done!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I cooked a case of those Sam's Club Butts Friday night
    Very happy with the results
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I put one on last night aroud 10:00. 7:30 now.Guess I should take some pictures. Like they say not pictures...it didn't happen. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Fornia
    I woke up this morning at 4am, looked at pit temp and it was 256. Went back to sleep.

Then woke up at 9am, and it's 255. I think this is really the testament to having the Egg 'stable' before cooking on it. I had it at 250 for at least 1.5hrs. before I even thought about putting the Butts on the Egg.

Pulled the smaller Butt off just now....foiled, and plastic wrapped, towel wrapped and into the dry cooler.

IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Looks great Jason! What's the difference between Fab P and fab free?
  • Fornia
    Steve,
    Fab Free....is said to be MSG Free. Although I've been advised that looking at the ingredients, there is some forms of msg in it.

I didn't purchase it becauce of the MSG aspect, but rather that Fab was at SummerFest in New Holland, PA this past year.

They were selling the bags for $10. I bought 3, and the owner threw me another 2 bags. So...I've got the 'free' version out the wazoo. :whistle:
  • Fornia
    End results:

For some reason, the slightly larger Butt took much longer to cook. Ended up being around 17hrs.

Not sure if I injected this one more….but just took a while longer.

I pulled the 1st Butt that came off the Egg. Really wonderful texture and juicy meat. The fat rendered down very nicely. Enjoyed pulling/tasting this one!

We had some quick Sammys….drizzled with Smokin Guitar Player’s Secret Sauce.

Killer sandwich!

IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2923.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg