Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco USDA prime steaks

Options
MemphisQue
MemphisQue Posts: 610
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stopped in a Memphis area Costco after a lunch meeting today and was shocked to see they had filets, ribeyes, sirloins and strips in USDA Prime. Best part - I bought some Prime strips for $12.99/lb. I am sure its a rare event and thought I would pass along in case there are other costco locations that may have it as well. I suspect there is a limited supply period. When you can get Prime you have to jump on it. The marbling looks very good in the steaks I bought.

Comments

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    MemphisQue wrote:
    Stopped in a Memphis area Costco after a lunch meeting today and was shocked to see they had filets, ribeyes, sirloins and strips in USDA Prime. Best part - I bought some Prime strips for $12.99/lb. I am sure its a rare event and thought I would pass along in case there are other costco locations that may have it as well. I suspect there is a limited supply period. When you can get Prime you have to jump on it. The marbling looks very good in the steaks I bought.

Shouldn't be all that rare - but I know it is location dependent.

I've been buying the Prime stuff for ~6 months now. Just think, when I first spotted Prime strips and ribeyes - they were $9.99/lb!! Now, price has gone up to $13.99/lb, unless you buy the sub-primal cuts; in which case you can get USDA Prime steaks for less than $10/lb all day.

My first ribeye sub-primal cut, I paid $7.99/lb for Prime - just unheard of.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I am always on the look out and seldom see it anywhere. Maybe our market just does not receive as much as other areas of the country. Fresh market had some Prime tenderloins around Christmas and the butcher explained to me that their supplier could not fill the order with the normal choice so they were able to accomodate them with a delivery of Prime. Said it happens very rarely. Needless to say I will be eating very well with some egged Prime steaks.
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    MemphisQue wrote:
    I am always on the look out and seldom see it anywhere. Maybe our market just does not receive as much as other areas of the country. Fresh market had some Prime tenderloins around Christmas and the butcher explained to me that their supplier could not fill the order with the normal choice so they were able to accomodate them with a delivery of Prime. Said it happens very rarely. Needless to say I will be eating very well with some egged Prime steaks.

And you'd think Memphis would have a lot more selection that Orlando (where I live).

If you suddenly loose supply, try another Sams/Costco. First time, I had to ask if they had any, as I got a tip from another local on another forum. Turns out it's super popular, and I've seen price increases about once every other month.

Or, you can always buy the sub-primal cut, if you have a vacuum sealer, and room. Then cut your own steaks/roasts AND save money. :)
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    What is a sub-primal cut? Do you mean the whole tenderloin, strip, ribyeye, etc?
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    MemphisQue wrote:
    What is a sub-primal cut? Do you mean the whole tenderloin, strip, ribyeye, etc?

Correct. :)

If you're looking for Prime, you might have to ask for it, as not everyone is looking to spend ~$100 on meat at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not as rare as you might imagine. I go to 2 different Costco stores here in Atlanta and both carry prime beef pretty much all the time. The price on prime is generally what other stores charge for choice (or even select in the case of Kroger - the dirty bastids)

But I still try to buy most of the meat I purchase from my locally owned and operated butcher shop.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Have a ribeye subprimal from Costco that has wet aged (my first, versus dry aging) for about 30 days as of this weekend. Weekend is time to butcher, vacuum pack, and fire up the eggie!!!! :laugh: :woohoo: :whistle:

Prime, boneless subprimal, about $8 a lb. But you have to ask for them, as they dont keep them in the case this time of year. They bring out 4 or 5 and let me pick the one I want. Got to love the Costco!!!! Cost on this one went about $130....
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    LFGEnergy wrote:
    Cost on this one went about $130....

Very nice. My first one was $96 on the button.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I hear you about supporting the local guys but I've asked several local butchers and they never get the prime. We have local steak shop but its about $27-$40 per type of steak. The filets are about 12 oz and others are about a lb. Too expensive for a regular cook.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I bet that will be good
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Hope so! First wet age effort, so looking forward to seeing difference between dry age. Checked receipt, subprimal went over 17 lb, at a whopping $139! Glad my wife likes aged beef :unsure: :whistle: !!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    My local costco has VERY recently started to carry a few cuts...top sirloin and strip..the sirloin was great..
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Would love to hear the results
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    I did see the prime whole ribeyes at Costco Saturday for $9.99lb but I didn't pick any up. I've been shopping at Costco since they first came to the Atlanta area and for me I have to say their meat is pretty much hit or miss. I have bought steaks there that have absolutely been horrible and some that have been great. Honestly, I just don't trust their grade too much.

The last time I bought steaks there was about a year ago when they had whole ribeyes labeled as brisket for $2.79lb! I pointed it out to the butcher and he kinda just shrugged his shoulders and said, "good day for you". I bought all six whole ribeyes. I kept two, and sold the other for to neighbors for what I paid for them. Was a great deal, but some of the steaks I cut from it are just not that good and it was choice.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    I have only had one dissapointing meat experience at Costco, and I buy a 4 or 5 subprimals a year now.

I bought an entire new york strip to dry age. Went 30 days or so aging, but the finished steaks had absolutely no flavor! Was the weirdest thing ever, when I say no flavor, I mean you could not get any flavor of meat or beef. Ended up throwing last two steaks out instead of eating. Talked to butcher, said it was not very common, but it can happen. He did also say that be sure and save your labels off your meat (which I do now) and bring it back if it ever happens again. Love my Costco!

Just a weird thing..... :unsure: :( :ermm:
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Yea, Costco is really cool about returns. That has been my experience with Costco meat as well. Some of what I buy just has absolutely no taste at all. It's weird but it happens more times than not and that's why I don't buy their steaks anymore.

I do buy the London Broils to make Biltong with. Biltong is a South African beef jerky and since fresh coriander is more important than the quality of meat, I buy the meat from Costco because the price is right.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Costco doesn't grade their own beef, USDA inspectors do the grading. If beef packaged for sale has a USDA Prime sticker on the package then it would be sold as prime anywhere you buy it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    wet aged will have similar flavors, not condensed though, and the fat will remain (in ribeyes) wet and will still fall apart.

same enzyme flavors and tenderness in wet aged beef, just not the more-condensed beef and beef-fat flavor

maybe more conventional appearance, though likely still brown.

should be posting some 100 day (!) dry-aged pics soon. that was just me being lazy. meant to cut and seal/freeze them a while ago. but everything is still going well
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Will look forward to pics! When you post include your opinion regarding drying and shrinkage, which also will be of great interest (at least to dry aged beef nerds)! I know you like the ends, but also how much you trimmed, if any, and the flavor of the ends. Also hope to see pics of it steaked out.

Thanks in advance - looking forward to the pics!

Dave
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    Which Costco did you go to Que? Wolfchase or Hacks? I might need to take a long lunch today....
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I too am looking forward to hearing about the aging. I am interested in trying that myself.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Went to Wolfchase. They still had a fairly decent selection out. Probably headed back today to pick up another package for the weekend.
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    Cool...headed there at lunch.
  • Buckethead
    Options
    Fidel you are CORRECT. Costco purchases USDA Choice and above for steaks and primals. Having no flavor is the animals fault and nothing to do with the place you purchase. Grading is accomplished by practices developed and maintained by the USDA and has nothing to do with where you purchase your meat.
  • stike
    Options
    just do it. easier than anything. :)
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    And no doubt the grading process from the USDA is left open to some human judgement so I would expect some variability to begin with not to mention how old the cow was, what it was fed, etc. which will greatly effect the taste of the meat.
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Options
    Costco in the Denver area has prime most of the time. Have tried rib eye and strip. Not much taste and not any more tender than choice at my local butcher. I don't buy them any more.
  • Fidel
    Options
    agreed...all you need is a bag and a vacuum pump.
  • stike
    Options
    :laugh:
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I'll post tomorrow morning as to how they tasted. Based on the fairly decent marbling I have my hopes up they will be great.